1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

emulated line out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by somerset04, Sep 1, 2008.

1. somerset04

somerset04

Jun 11, 2008
    Hi,
    Our band has a Yamaha 500W PA system and our lead guitar will use his own combo amp. And, the rhythm guitarist and I,bassist, will share the PA. My bass is a Fender mustang with a passive pickup.
    Then I was looking for a DI box to connect my bass to the PA mixer. A decent DI costs around $100-200 level, and an MB15 combo got my attention, which has an emulated line out jack. I was told that this works like a DI box. If this is correct, I thought I might be able to use the combo as a DI box and as a monitor for a small gig.

Could you please let me know if I am right or not?
    Thanks.

somerset,

2. Do you have a drummer?

If so, I would think you might get swamped with a 15 watt 8 inch speaker.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Tough question. You won't get much usable volume on a gig, but it would work. How well it would work, I don't know, but if you're planning on gigging, I'd get a little bigger amp if I were you with a proper DI instead of a 1/4" line out. Look at used amps as well. You can find some real bargains for not much more than that Marshall you're looking at.

4. You may be able to get the MB to work, but going into anyone else's PA is probably going to be a problem. DI boxes are generally balanced (3 pin) connectors, that are generally low impedance that can be run great distances through a snake and into a balanced input of a mixer. The "line out" is not balanced, and is probably not low impedance.

Like I said, you can probably make it work, but wouldn't you like to be ready for more advanced DI uses?

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I would get a "real" DI, damn the cost. It will save your butt countless times, and you never know when you'll need it. A good one will take a beating and serve you for many years, regardless of how the rest of your rig, band, or mood changes.