1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

End of the Line

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Interceptor, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I have hit my end point.

Tendon issues in my fretting hand have sidelined me again, and this time for good. It has been a issue for the last few years. If I backed off on playing, I could get it to be kind of OK. But, it never would go away.

I recently starting rehearsing with a new band and it did not take long for things to go bad again. I cannot see the pain / rewards ratio of gigging justifying the pain element any longer. The excitement of being asked to join a promising band was soon replaced with the reality that my body no longer has the capability.

I accept that.

I had a lot of fun. Met some amazing people. Got to do many things beyond my dreams. I also somehow managed to end it all on a good note, and am very grateful for that.

Jim

2. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Sad to read. I hope you can continue in some way even if it’s limited, to enjoy your passion. Perhaps some of those boutique auto immune type drugs can help you.

Ggaa likes this.
  3. Sorry to hear that. I have had issues with tendinitis before so I feel some of your pain. Look up 'target tendinitis,' it really helped me to manage and largely overcome those problems. I am not affiliated, just want to share that helped me, also my partner who struggled with chronic tendinitis for 10 years.

4. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    So much more to this story.

5. Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Oh, there is in depth, but not in the framework. The pain this time came on harder and faster. The signals were clear, time to face the reality that my hands are not so good anymore.

Let me put it this way: I have a neighbor who is a retired firefighter. He retired when he tore up a knee beyond repair. Sure, there were other factors when he retired, but the knee was the primary element. As we age, the factors DO build.

Mine is a like story.

6. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    :thumbsup:

7. WI Short Scaler

WI Short Scaler Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Central WI
    Sucks when health issues take us away from what we love to do.

I have osteo-arthritis in both hands and play with a brace on my fretting hand at gigs. I left a band with a drummer and our 3 pc now has guitar/bass/cajon, much easier to just play and not "hammer" on the bass for definition and sound.

And an upcoming cervical stenosis/spinal surgery coming up has sidelined me for a while now, not sure how I'll handle it if I can't come back from that. The prognosis is good but in my mind I'll believe that when I see it.

Best of luck to you in playing in some form going forward.

8. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Jim, sorry to hear, but glad you got to experience it all and are accepting it with gratitude for what you were given/attained … I have followed your posts on here, as we seemed to share many of the same several gear preferences over the years, also from a 'neighbor' state (MN here) … ironically, I too had health issues draw almost 50 years of bass to an end just this year, so I can relate to that as well … kind of bittersweet, but lots of memories (good and not so) and no regrets …

Thanks for sharing all you did on here!!

tom

barrenelly, Mr_Moo, lightbg and 4 others like this.
  9. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    Sorry to hear. I wonder what will be the stopping issue for me. I have Diabetes/Arthritis/Neuropathy/Memory issues which come and go. One month may go well then the next month is hard on me. Sometimes I want to stop for good but darn it I am retiring in about a year and want to play full time for the first time in my life.

Good luck to you!

Mr_Moo, Ggaa, Mike Whitfield and 3 others like this.
  10. Did you consider playing key bass? On a Moog or something?

I have seen bands with no bass players, which have a dedicated key-bass player instead, and they were very good.

It doesn't work for all kinds of music and you would need a little practice time, but your experience as a musician and bass player would accelerate your development for sure.

Key bass might be better than no bass after all, eh?

Mr_Moo, Beej, logdrum and 11 others like this.
  11. Thanks. Looks legit.

About - Target Tendonitis

dramatwist likes this.
  12. that is sad, however your spirituality is refreshing..I like the way you have seemed to come to grips (bad pun I know) with this..especially the bright side of it regarding the blessing of being able to play for so long and having such a good time bringing joy to others at the same time...that is what its all about. At least for me that is it..bringing joy to people that live in an otherwise miserable world..If through music I can make them smile, and forget about life even for a few seconds...my job is done and I have contributed to society in a very meaningful way...as I feel you have too...thank you for your service...

barrenelly, Mr_Moo, chuckNC and 6 others like this.
  13. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    First: sorry to hear something like that. But second, and i have to ask this: have you talked to a doctor and did you have a bass teacher check you technique? I don´t want to bother you, but a lot of tendon issues can be solved one way or another...

Mr_Moo, Beej, Evil Funk and 1 other person like this.
  14. That really sucks, but I admire that you're taking it with good grace.

15. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    I hope and pray the future brings you something else wonderful to do.

Mr_Moo and ak56 like this.
  16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Best of luck with whatever is next. When I found I could no longer compete in sports like I wanted to, I found great joy in coaching kids. Watching their love for games take root was inspiring. Maybe you can use your gear, knowledge, and vast experiences to point a kid toward decades of joy that you have known.

17. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I had severe tendonitis in both wrists in the mid 80s. I had to take about 5 years off of playing. When I came back, I came back really slowly. It was a couple of years before I started to gig again. I can still over do it if I'm not careful, but I've played a Friday and Saturday night 4 hour gig with no problems.

I don't know about your situation, but if I were you, I'd get a doctor's advice and some physical therapy. Let it heal completely, then come back really slowly. You might have to start out at 5 minutes a day.

Good luck

18. Sorry to read these words, but it sounds like you've made peace with the reality of the situation. Joint pain is going to be the end of my playing at some point.

John

Mike Whitfield likes this.
  19. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    sorry to hear it, hope you can can keep playing in some capacity for enjoyment?

20. Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I am completely at peace due to a very spiritual view of life.

I have checked with a fine Doctor on this. The advice I was given was to reduce my playing.

Mr_Moo, zubrycky, rtav and 9 others like this.