1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Endpin Issues

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by showfeet, Aug 22, 2012.

1. showfeet

showfeet

Jan 6, 2012
    St. Louis, MO
    I have had some trouble with my endpin recently. It keeps sliding and falling in (slowly, no damage to the body). I assume this is because I am 6'4" and have my endpin out past where the notches end. What can I do to make it stop sliding? Is there anything I can do other than buy a new endpin?

2. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    Have a small groove machined where you need it ? Shouldn't be super complicated/expensive in a machine shop.

3. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    See posts #50 and 51 in the End Pin Length thread in this forum.

4. showfeet

showfeet

Jan 6, 2012
    St. Louis, MO
    Thank you guys, exactly what I needed.

5. showfeet

showfeet

Jan 6, 2012
    St. Louis, MO
    Alright, I've noticed it still slides when in one of the already existing notches. What should I do?

6. gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    Is the point of the thumb screw end going into the notch? or possibly, is it too flat and only straddling the notch and slipping?

Sharpen the point or make the notch wider.

7. gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010

Oops! I just noticed.
    It slips in the existing notches? Not the new ones?These are the grooves that go all around the end pin? Correct?

Is the thumb screw tightening or is it perhaps stripped?

8. showfeet

showfeet

Jan 6, 2012
    St. Louis, MO
    Correct. And the thumb screw is tightened as far as allowed, and it at no point loosens. Is the problem perhaps a lack of friction?

9. gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    If you can remove the pin, look into the hole and see if the screw is long enough to tightly engage the pin.
    "Lack of friction" has to be lack of (good) contact.

10. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    With the thumbsrew loosened, does the endpin seem to "click" into position at regular intervals as you
    slide it through the bushing? And if so, is this how you are setting the position? If that's the case, that
    could be the problem with the existing notches.

These "detent" positions, if present, will not necessarily have the notches lined up with the thumbscrew.
    You have to let the screw tip "find" the notch independantly of those "detent" positions.

Turn the thumbsrew in until it just contacts the endpin. Then while maintaining just light tightening force
    on the screw, slide the pin until you feel the screw tip fall into a notch. When a notch lines up with the
    screw tip, it should suddenly become possible to turn the thumbscrew in further.

11. The Spanier

The Spanier

Jul 9, 2010
    Spain
    I am suffering the same problem… It is soooo annoying to feel your bass slippering down while playing… And no matter how tight you screw the endpin. In my case, it is because the flatness of my thick ebony endpin (engel), which has no holes or strips. I guess the only way will be drilling or stripping some spots, but the fact is that I don`t know how to do it….

12. gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    Jake from the Bass Spa, here on TB, suggested I use a 9/32 rat-tail file to make a groove all the way around my metal end pin. It worked like a charm. The same thing might work on ebony but I'm not sure.

13. The Spanier

The Spanier

Jul 9, 2010
    Spain
    Thanks Gerry! I guess that if it worked on metal… It must work on ebony ¿?¿?¿

14. bssist

bssist

Jun 23, 2007
    St. Louis, MO USA
    Cutting a groove with a file should do the trick. If you have a drill press chuck your endpin into the drill press and let it extend through the hole in the platform so that the spot where you want your groove to be is just above the platform. Turn on the drill press and bring your file in against your endpin. It shouldn't take too deep of a groove, maybe a 16th inch or so. Just make sure your groove is a bit wider than your set screw.

15. gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    +100
    This is a great idea, if you have a drill press. I had to use a bench vise.