1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Engelhardt ES1 Swingmaster

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by GregT, Dec 24, 2017.

1. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    A local store has a 2004 blonde Engelhardt ES1 Swingmaster in almost perfect condition. It looks unplayed. They are asking $1600 for it. I know that is high, but there aren't a lot of choices here. I am just wondering if the 2004 would be one of the good years or the bad years for Engelhardt. Any information would be helpful and appreciated, but I am not looking for alternative brands. I am only interested in what you might be able to tell me to help me figure out if I want to make an offer on this particular bass. The condition truly is excellent.

I am not new to bass. I have an early 1900s 4/4 German flatback that I play all the time. I just don't like to take it to bar gigs.

2. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    I'd see how it plays first. I know the swingmaster's run around 2 grand new so 1600 for one in mint shape is a pretty decent price. You could find cheaper yes but if you're willing to fork out more because it's less of a pain buying locally, then go for it. I'm not sure about bad years so you might want to wait for another opinion before buying

If it was me I'd play it, look it over real well and if it passed, I'd go for it

GregT likes this.
  3. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    I had a chance to play it a few days ago. It needs an adjustable bridge, maybe. I really did like it. A friend has an old Kay he plays all the time and I played it with a local band last Wednesday. The ES-1 was pretty similar other than the strings and action. I probably ought to go and look at again on my next day off.

As far as the good or bad years, I have read somewhere that they weren't built as good for a few years. I know there have been some changes since Engelhardt bought out Kay. Hopefully, mostly good changes.