Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani 902UL....Finally

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MacGroove, Mar 17, 2006.

1. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    According to Epi's web site listed under 'information' is the release of the 902UL. Proto type should arrive in April and shipping is in May.
    I was able to road test the 902 in a hot rodded 502 Nick made up for several bassists to try out.
    It's by far, much better than the original 902. It's now rated at 2x900 watts @ 4 ohms each. You could drive 4-410UL's @ 8 ohms each with no problem. With 900 watts into my 410UL
    (4 ohms) really opened up it's tonal voicing more so than the 502's 600 watts, it rivaled my Crown MT 1200.
    I plan on (when the occasion comes up) to drive the 410 on one side and my 2-112's on the other.
    Nick just set a new standard with switchable power supplies, you won't think of a switchable amp the same after plugging into one of these. The mids are more open with a better low mid punch and the high end really sings through smoothly.
    The weight will be lighter than the original 902, since there is no need of a transformer or heat sinks.

The Performance Series cabs are expected to be ready for shipping early April and the PS600 amp in late April or early May. The PS series is not just a less expensive series from Nick, the PS600 amp is the same as the 502UL, it's a single channel, therefore cuts the price down and the cabs are made of American poplar (not Italian) and the spkr's are not NEO, so again a cut in price. The PS cabs are great sounding cabs, they have an extended frequency range as compared to the UL's. At NAMM, more bassists preferred the PS's to the UL's. Andrew Grouche just joined the Epi family using the PS600 and 2-PS115's.

2. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Great news! I would love to try one out soon...the specs sound alot better now...this is a really powerful head!

3. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    The new 902 sounds like it's going to be a killer amp, but I bet it is going to cost some serious $$$!
    Any idea if it's going to be able to bridge into 4 ohms?

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    SUH-WEET!!!!

-Mike

5. MacGroove

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    No, sorry Matt, no bridging for tech reasons I don't understand. But 2x900 watts in a small package would probably have kept it from a bridgable mode product. Perhaps when and if Nick produces a power amp, it will be able to be bridgable and down to 2 ohms.
    The 900 watts sounds more like 1200 watts. Like I said, it rivaled my Crown MT1200 of 1300 watts @ 4 ohms, and a fraction of the weight.

6. Sounds like a monster! Cool. I'd love to see them come out with 1/2 of that amp in a small package. If they could do 900 watts mono in a head smaller and lighter than the 502, I think they'd have a real winner.

7. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Any speculation on price?

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That does sound very nice, but I also find it baffling to offer two non-bridgable channels. One 900w channel (presumably for a lower MSRP) would probably have done the trick. But nonetheless, it sounds very promsing. Does this nix the XP-L90? Will it also become a 2-channel amp? With there be a PS900?

So many questions, so little information to go on... :p

9. MacGroove

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    What, you're concerned about size and weight again Ken, I know you will after you get you Glock Hard Rock. :)

10. MacGroove

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I haven't heard anything on price yet, probably waiting to see after they get the prototypes in.

11. MacGroove

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Yup, so many questions, so little information to go on...:p

I personnally don't mind not bridging if I have the kind of 900 watts @ 4ohms each in this amp.
    Who knows Tom, the XP-L90 might still be in the mix, only better, and it'd be great to have a PS900.

12. Yes Baby!

This amp just saved my day. I just to about ordering some UL cabs but still have total load of 4 ohm in mind!

But 902 has what I want:hyper:

-Christian

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    A "oh man, that sounds like it would rule" bump.:D

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    very interesting news! The 902 has been 'imminent' for so long I was starting to think of it as vaporware

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    time to take a wee drive to the Bk. ;)

16. Anyone knows the weight on this amp?

-Christian

17. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

FWIW - The Epifani site lists it at 18 lbs.

18. I'm taking some much-deserved grief from ordering that big old lead sled:D I'm looking at the three space rack I ordered in preparation for the Glock HR delivery and it's about the same size as my BergHT210S. I must be crazy:p

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, you are. I'll take that Glock (and rack) off you hands for you. ;)

20. MacGroove

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    The original 902 was 18 lbs., but the new one will be much lighter, maybe even lighter than the 502 if not close to it.