Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Epifani cone creasing problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Anyone had problems with their drivers creasing? I bought a 310NYC from a fellow TB'er, and one of the 3 cones has pretty bad creasing around the outer edge. While this was 2 months ago, I am still waiting for this to be resolved with the seller unfortunately.

I emailed Epifani's customer service twice, without a single reply.

Recently I found a boogie 2x10 on ebay, which was loaded with the correct epifani driver. I paid more than it was probably worth to get a good driver for my 310, and it came today. Nightmare time, this thing came packed in a box the size a fridge would damn near fit in. I got it out, and the first thing I noticed was that whoever packed it wasn't smart enough to cover the cab in plastic before they stuffed the whole box full of those annoying styrofoam peanuts. I am not sure how, but the cab was COMPLETELY full of the peanuts. I started taking it apart to get the peanuts out of the cab to find that both of the drivers were creased up junk in this one too! Both of the drivers had to be completely removed to get all the peanuts out of the speaker frames, it was ridiculous.

Needless to say, I am less than pleased. I emailed the seller, and he offered to make an insurance claim with fedex, like they will cover previous owner abuse.

So now, I have over a grand invested in nothing but JUNK, and still don't have a good driver for it. This is officially the LAST time I will ever consider buying used speaker cabs without being able to thoroughly inspect it in person.

Here's a pic of the peanuts inside the cab. All of those on the floor came out from inside it as well.

2. Man, that really sucks. I'm having a hard time seeing the creasing. Why is it such a big problem?

-Geoff

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    *hug*

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Enlarge the pic, it kinda looks like a water stain or something all the way around the edge of the cone. This happens for over excurting a speaker. When this happens and it creases, instead of the cone moving as a whole as designed, it folds on the crease every time moves.

It's a clear sign of abuse or neglect normally, I am just wondering if this for some reason is common with epi drivers, since there is a pattern here.

5. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Those are the old style drivers. I found them more prone to creasing when using low powered amps. The news ones feature a double role design which allows for better excursion extension.

6. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I certainly hope it isn't a common problem due to the fact that I just ordered a 410UL...

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The guy who sold you that Boogie cab must have intentionally put the styrofoam "peanuts" inside the cab. There is no way that it got packed so full by just incidentally travelling through the port. If it weren't so darn frustrating, I'm sure that it would be somewhat funny to think of someone doing that on purpose. I'm not trying to make light of your situation. It's just that how ludicrous is it that someone would do that on purpose!?!

I hope that you can get things worked out, somehow. Best of luck.

Tom.

P.S.
    We still need to get together one of these days for some serious gear experimentation!

8. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    PEANUTS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen some bad packing jobs but, wow, those photo's really take the cake.

Sorry. I totally sympathize.

Whenever I ship anything I always use and insist on balled up newspaper or packing paper and bubble wrap.

Best luck in your claims. Man, those photo's boil my blood.

Bob

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yep, that's definetely creasing damage, and enough to the extent that it will distort your sound, sometimes pretty severely.

I personally "abused" one of my Aguilar GS-410's and creased all four of its drivers last year when I only took one cab to a gig that really required two. I ran some pretty hard low B's from my NS electric upright, and it creased the cones. My own fault. Though I noticed the visual creasing, I didn't notice the ill-effect on my tone at first. Over the next several weeks, the creased section apparently got weaker and weaker, to the point where I was getting a nasty distorted tone from that one cab, while the other non-creased cab was fine.

I first tried applying tung oil per suggestions on this site, but while it helped a little at first, it didn't last and the distortion returned. All four speakers had to be replaced to fix the problem.

If anyone sells a speaker cab with creased cones to ANY extent without first disclosing the damage, they are bad, bad people and you should have a claim against them for refund.

10. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Tim, would you be so kind as to provide all of us TBers the eBay screen name for the two individuals who sold you the cabs with creased drivers? We need to know who not to do business with in the future. Especially the guy who intentionally put peanuts inside the cab...I agree, no way that many could have worked their way inside the cab.

Also, curious that only one of the three drivers was creased in the 310...which one? Seems I heard of another guy who blew one of his 3 and Epi said he had to replace all three. I'm wondering if something about the 310 cab exposes one driver to more stress than the other two.

Oh, and try CALLING Epifani, I've always gotten a live person right away.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

12. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Why buy another cab just to get a speaker?
    Wouldn't it be much cheaper just to have your speaker reconed?

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Sometimes you can't get a particular driver reconed, since you need a special recone kit for that exact driver. If not, the t/s parameters are all different. I know I can't find anyone in the entire state of Ohio that can get a recone kit for an Eminence Kappa 10 Pro. They can recone Delta's all day long, but a Kappa 10 Pro, fuggedaboutit.