Epifani T-112 UL, opinions

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by panos, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Hi everybody,
    I'm searching for a speaker cabinet which has to be light, powerful, full on the low, and with enough volume when needs. I play only DoubleBass and use the focus as amplifier.

I think that a good solution may be the Epifani T-112 UL (30 lbs,300w RMS, 100db SPL@1w1m). Their site argues: " ....Many requests were made by upright players who needed a cabinet that sounded natural,yet powerful and deep. The T-112 is the most powerful single 12" on the market today... " http://www.epifani.com/cabinets/T112.htm

I'd like to have your opinions or experiences with this cab...
    Thanks, Panos.
  2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think it really depends on the sound you are looking for.
    We did a few comparisons here with an Acme b1, Epi 110UL,
    Wizzy, Bergantino 112. I also have the Epi 112UL. Hands
    down, everyone has liked the Bergie over everything else.
    The Epi is very light and can get stupid loud for its size,
    but I think its upright sound is a compromise. We were using
    a Focus head and Underwood pickups for all of this.
  3. B String, thanks for your post.
    Well, i wouldn't mind if the cab is "slightly colored" , just to have a decent sound in normal and somewhat high volumes.
    We also consider that it's the only brand from those you mentioned, that we can find and buy in Europe.

When you said that the Epi can get stupid loud for its size, you 're talking about the 112UL or the 110UL?
  4. Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I am not sure how pertinent this is, but I have the Epi T212D. It does not sound bad for upright, but it is lacking definition in comparison to my AI combo. It takes massive EQ'ing to get the low end rumble out...but even then it still sound very unnatural. I would never go buy an Epi for upright...but if I had to use it, I would.
  5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    For their size and weight, they all get very loud. In this case
    I'm talking about the 112UL. Loud, lows and light. Add a
    110UL, and a Focus, and you have killer light rig with
    much volume. If it works for upright is up to your bass,
    pickup, and ear.
  6. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Everyone loves my Bergie HT112. I use an Eden WT550 head.
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It's a great cab and one of a number of viable options. If you're stuck on 1x12's (which is not necessarily a bad thing), the HT112 and Wizzy are the front runners, but the T-112UL also has a lot going for it and just might float your boat.
  8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I played one in an A/B test a few years back against an EA CXL 112 and a Bergantino HT112 and didn't care for it. It had a boxiness in the low mids that sounded very unnatural for DB to my ears...but then it was up against some pretty stiff competition. YMMV, FWIW, MYOGDB, SOYW, DOA, DUI, etc.
  9. Thank you all for your posts.
    It seems that the Epi isn't the better solution for URB. I'll do an inquiry about Bergie 112, shipping costs to Europe, etc...

Any recommended source to suggest for the HT112?
  10. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Dave Freeman from Club Bass in Canada is a very nice guy, and sells them.
  11. I'm going to suggest that you try the AccuGroove Tri112L, which is what I have been using for upright for the past few months, before settling on anything. It has a little bigger footprint that the Bergie HT112, which I also own, but I find the sound of the AccuGroove better voiced for upright. It also makes an excellent doubling cabinet for those times you need to play BG. I'm planning to write a full review of this cabinet when I get a few minutes.
  12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I'm always amused when I hear somebody describe a 30lb cabinet as "light". It ain't light when you're walking up your third subway staircase BEFORE the gig and you still got a 6 block walk at the other end.

If lightness is the overweening concern and lo-fi sound is OK, the GK 112MBX has filled the bill for me. I used to cart around a Polytone extension speaker that had the original speaker replaced with a JBL 12", the GK has that beat sound-wise.

And it weighs 12lbs...
  13. Hi Ed,
    Well, i just thought i could try something less heavy, after 10 years carring a SWR Workinman 12 (50lbs), and more friendly sounding to double bass. The fact is, that if i hadn't discover the Talkbass i'd maybe had never researched other things!
    And here, all the guys are talking about EA, LDS, Bergie, Acme etc..etc. I would be very curious to purchase one of them finally.

Erik, thanks for suggestion, i think that the AccuGroove Tri112L is too expensive for me.

I read also in another thread that EA is producing a new 208 cab. This is interesting. Could that be an alternative solution to 112? Which is in general the differance of a 208 and a 112 cab?
  14. brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I use an Epifano 112 UL with an Eden WT550 head and can actually highly recomend it. The cabinet works great for a 5 string upright, and I like it for upright as well. I've owned Acoustic Image, and to me, it blows it away.

Its the most natural sounding rig if you're just using a pickup and want to be heard. In my opinion, sometime more "natural" sounding rigs don't get the job done on the bandstand.
  15. brianh,
    thanks for your opinion. I 've not decided yet, i also wait the new 208 EA. The good thing with Epi is that is the only brand avalaible in Europe (easier to order, no customs, no delays).
  16. bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    brian, I think I know what you mean ... But if you don't mind, would you care to elaborate? Are you referring to any particular rigs? Just curious. Thanks.
  17. Barcza

May 1, 2005
    What do you think, Tri112L or Tri110L sounds better for Upright?