1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Epifani vs. EA

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Tbeers, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Okay, I'm updating my amp/cabinet hopefully for the last time. The head will be a WW Ultra (800/1200 watts). I'm still on the fence about a cabinet. My two main choices right now are the EA NL-210 and the Epifani UL-210.

On paper, the Epifani is perhaps more impressive. It is 6 pounds lighter and boasts what seems to be a slightly deeper frequency range (this last thing may be BS). Also, if I buy the Epifani, I will buy a padded case for it, which would protect against the elements (to some degree).

On the other hand, the EA has a hard sprayed coating, which makes it naturally more durable. Though it is heavier, its dimensions are a bit smaller, so maybe the weight/size thing evens out. I believe the EA would be more expensive, though no one seems to list a real price for it.

Has anyone heard these two cabinets? Even just a general comparison of Epifani and EA gear would be most appreciated. For some reason, there isn't much talk of Epifani cabinets on these forums, and yet there are some huge names on DB playing through them (Christian McBride, for one). Please keep in mind I am after a great doubling rig, since I find myself called for a lot of slab gigs these past months.

Thanks.

2. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    My comment is probably not too well rounded.

There is a guy at school here who does a lot of doubling between elec. and acoustic. He uses a woods head through an Epifani 1x12 and it sounds amazing for both.

While I can't say which is better, I'd imagine you can't go wrong with the Epifani.

3. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Well, it seems as though the price is the same. I suppose with these two cabs, I win either way. Right now it's looking like I'll go with the Epifani, since I can actually try that before I buy.

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    The UL-210 is a great cabinet sound wise and weight wise. My experience with it is mainly using BG as I use something smaller for DB.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have not played an UL-210 other than in a store, but it is a very nice sounding cab. The highs are open and airy, and it's pretty tight sounding overall. My impression, however, was that the NL-210 is a bit more balanced through the midrange, and perhaps a tad bit less colored, though the Epi is not 'highly colored' by any means.

But again, I have not had an UL-210 in my hands to really put through its paces. In general, though, I find EA gear to be less colored and more tonally balanced, whereas Epifani cabs have enhanced high end airyness and smooth, thick lows, but a bit of a midrange scoop. My favorite combination of Epifani cabs (and one which for whatever reason does sound more balanced and articulate across its range) is a T-112 (NYC-112) with a T-110UL (UL-110).

Tom.

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    As much as I love my Epi 210UL, I don't think its a good
    box for upright bass, unless you want a more "old school"
    big boomy sound. This box works great for electric bass
    but for upright, I like a tighter more controlled sound.
    Even my 110UL has alot of lows for its size. The EA NL210
    has a low and mid range that speaks a little faster.
    I think it might be a better cab for upright bass. jmho

7. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hmm... it looks as though the EA NL-210 may be the way to go.

I might just wait for the NM-208, since I'll be gone this summer anyway. Maybe they will get their act together by the fall.

8. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I've used EA gear for the last 5 years and have been very happy with it although I still prefer the VL series to the CXL. I have two CXL112s to use for loud gigs and VL208 for upright. It really comes down to what you want the bass to sound like. I also use WW ultra and with two cxl112 and my electric bass (Sadowsky 4 or 77 Pbass) really gets a deep clear sound. But I'm not so crazy about the sound of the 112s with my EUB (Knutson or Eminence) or my upright. They sound much better through a VL208.

The Epifanis are terrific cabinets although I find them a bit big dimension-wise. As I've said in some posts before the EAs are the best at sound dispersion throughout the room. This is always the deciding factor with me.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Have you tried the NL-210 yet? That cab has a voice of its own (doesn't sound exactly like VL-series or CxL-series), but at least comparing the three lines of 2x10's, I like the NL-210 the best. Fantastic cab! :)

Tom.

10. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I think the NL-210 is the best stand alone cab I've ever owned. Sounds great with everything! I also like pairing it with the CXL-112L for massive attack mode as well.

For my small gigs though I like being lazy and carry only a Epifani 110UL with my AI Focus.

BTW: EA customer service is first rate as well.:hyper:

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned SUSPENDED

Dec 11, 1999
    Tbeers,
    EA is located in Princeton Jct, NJ - not too far from you. When you are ready, I am sure we can work out a way for you to try one

Mike

12. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks, Mike. I will definitely be in touch soon.

13. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    My place is down the Jersey Shore, you're more than welcome to make a time for a visit, I'm just about 20 miles south of Atlantic City -- just come here, first. :meh:

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned SUSPENDED

Dec 11, 1999
    Soory, Bob -you are absolutely right.

MIke

15. isolated

isolated Zenkaku

Dec 7, 2004
    I think he meant before he went to Atlantic City....