Epiphone Allen Woody Rumblekat Mod

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HouseofElrond, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HouseofElrond

HouseofElrond

Dec 21, 2017
    Very happy with the mods to my Rumblekat.
    *Leveled the frets
    *Installed CTS 500K pots with ceramic .047 cap
    *New nut with narrower string spacing
    *Sanded the back of the neck to comfotable profile and gun stock oil finished
    *Installed Klein bass mini humbucker pickups
    *Moved the neck pickup to the bridge position then and routed for the bridge pickup closer to the bridge.
    *Made a tortoise pick guard to cover the neck hole.

This thing rocks!... literally! 1.JPG 2.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

2. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    That is impressive work, and you've not scrimped on the costs there! I just went to the Klein website!

You might struggle to find others who have modded an Allen Woody that much. :bassist:

MattZilla likes this.
  3. HouseofElrond

HouseofElrond

Dec 21, 2017
    Thanks... Yeah... I struggled with the cost of the Kleins. But I love the bass and the Kleins are in fact better. The slight "wooliness" of the Epiphone pickups is gone. Clean, warm, and punchy. Using La Bella flats.

Axstar likes this.
  4. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Nice work!
    I've only had my Rumblekat a week so it's still stock.
    I've new strings (GHS Pressurewounds) on the way but so far I haven't found anything that NEEDS changing.
    I may go with hipshot lollipop tuners (just because I love that style), and possibly change the volume/tone pots.
    The only thing that had me hesitant about getting this was the hofner-style control plate, but at least the Rumblekat one is a lot simpler...still, I'd have been happier without any plate at all, just the control knobs sitting on the wood.

5. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger

Dec 11, 2014
    Western NC
    Had one. Liked it and regret selling it. I replaced the tuners, installed flats and had the nut redone as part of a pro setup to improve (lower) the action. Sounded and played great.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Nice job on the pickguard.

The only mods I needed to make to my Rumblekat were to install Gotoh GB350 Res-O-Lite tuners, a Hipshot Supertone bridge and relocating the upper strap button to behind the neck joint.

Kev1955, Oddly and mojomike001 like this.
  7. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    All those mods and you didn't change the most important thing (IMHO), the three-point bridge. The Hipshot replacement is transformational. It turns the Woody into a fine instrument. Fully adjustable saddles.

woodie.jpg

8. HouseofElrond

HouseofElrond

Dec 21, 2017
    How are those tuners?.. that's next. :)

9. HouseofElrond

HouseofElrond

Dec 21, 2017
    Bought one...
    have one
    couldn't get the action low enough with it on mine.

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Very smooth and light in weight.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!!

I don't own one, but that's some great looking work!

12. I just got mine last week and it is an awesome bass!
    I admire the time and effort invested, but IMHO few if any mods are really needed.
    I would have also liked for the controls to just be on the body, without a plate (like my Gretsch HB), although a bit of an eye-sore, its not the end of the world.
    I looked into getting a nut and maybe replace the tuners and bridge, but at the price I got it for and for how nicely it plays, I don't really see the need to.

jallenbass and Oddly like this.
  13. only4

only4

Aug 12, 2006
    Manchester UK
    I recently purchased a Rumblekat and to be honest it's a great instrument.
    After looking at some of the mods that people have been doing i began to wonder about the merits of changing the bridge to a Hipshot, i know that it will enable more accurate setup over the original bridge but it also made me think about how other hollow body instrument bridges seem to have minimal points of contact with the top surface of the body.
    I'm now questioning whether full contact bridges detrimentally affect the way that hollow bodies resonate or would this only really be a problem with acoustic instruments?

Mike Orr, Kev1955 and Bass V like this.
  14. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie The winged monkeys showed up

Jan 8, 2008
    HELL
    IvanC and Oddly like this.
  15. Grumble

Grumble

Aug 17, 2013
    All that I've done so far is to fit a bone nut, replace the capacitator with a big old fashioned oil capacitator of the same value and I replaced the plastic knobs with gold colored metal knobs. Somewhere down the road I will probably go for the Ultralite Tuners. I don't have any problem with the 3 point bridge. RK_knobs.jpg

Oddly likes this.
  16. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    @Grumble where did you get the knobs?
    And why replace the capacitor?

17. Noble_Rot

Noble_Rot

Jul 30, 2017
    East Coast
    0BF80FEE-EA36-4EC5-A5D5-FEC4413953D8.jpeg 2D5E0E21-319E-4154-9DCF-9F78BB3202C5.jpeg Have 2, modded both. Babicz 3 point bridge and hipshot ultralights on both. Graphtech nut on the blue one and zero fret on the other. Seymour Duncan pups on the blue one.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  18. user362432

user362432 Guest

Dec 27, 2002
    SAM_0130.JPG I am still considering to rewire whole thing as vol/tone on both pickups and 3-way switch.
    I already replaced bridge and strings.

Noble_Rot likes this.
  19. BadToVerse

BadToVerse

Dec 12, 2017
    Which duncans are those? How do they sound? I've swapped the bridge and tuners to hipshot on mine and have been looking for pup options.

20. Noble_Rot

Noble_Rot

Jul 30, 2017
    East Coast
    mdogs and moonshinegtrs like this.