1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epiphone Ripper. Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Hey gang.

A friend is offering me an Epiphone Ripper for $300.

I can't, for the life of me, find out much of anything on them.

Does anyone here have experience with them? If so, is $300 reasonable?

Thanks!

2. Epiphone Ripper?

The only Ripper ever being made, that I was aware of, was the Gibson.

I'm intrigued. Pics?

EDIT:

[​IMG]

That's a cool lookin' bass! Looks like it has a different bridge from the traditional 3-point, too.

Go for it, I say.

3. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    If its mint, its not a bad deal. They are supposed to sound really good from what others have said. One person who owns all versions said that the Epi version actually sounds the best. The new Gibson Ripper re-issue is not out yet, no one has played it either.

Spy photo Gibson re-issue
    000_Grabbernat.

4. 4stringman

4stringman

Oct 12, 2008
    Memphis, Tn
    The epi's were a limited run custom shop
    I've never played one, but from what I hear they are a great bass. and for $300 its a great deal:bassist:

5. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    I had a Ripper... might have been a Grabber... for a while... it was a pile of crap... this looks like an improvement, with the p/j pup arrangement.

I did try Gibsons but they just were not up to Fenders for the vibe... mind you we're talking 70's here!

6. I would have rather had the original soapbar style pickups, to be honest.

A maple body/neck/fingerboard combo with brighter pickups just seems a little unbalanced to me.

To each their own, though. :p

7. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I played one in a store and absolutely loved it, if I could've afforded it right then I would've walked out with it :(.

8. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Dec 29, 2008
    Yes, that's about what they go for in moderately good, but used condition.

If you don't buy it, he'll probably get that for it on ebay quite easily. I've never heard anyone say they didn't like these (as far as I can recall)

9. There were actually two Epiphone Rippers and neither of them were right.

The one pictured above is a nice bass that sounds more like a Precision than a Ripper. If all you want is the general body shape then that Epiphone is fine.

THere was another one done a few years before that one that had one soapbar pickup in the center position. Not at all a Ripper sounding bass but it could mock a good Grabber sound. That one is worth tracking down IMO.

10. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    ive read several threads on the Epi Ripper when I was looking for a Gibby Ripper. From what I read, online places blew them out at like $250 or less when they were clearance.

As far as tonal reviews: Not anything like the real Ripper.

11. I wrote a very detailed review of this instrument on Harmony a year or two ago; I liked it. The pickguard was thin and warped, but all other details were fine--very much a P-bass in disguise.

12. hold it...HOLD IT
    theres a new ripper as well?!?!?!
    holy s***!

13. to the OP,i say take it.that was a limited edition run,which didn't even last that long,so now is probably your only chance to get this bass.there are some that come around here and there im sure,but i say take it up

14. rippers>grabbers..by a longshot

15. Yeah, and it's grossly overpriced.

16. I could not disagree more. I have owned a Ripper and two Grabbers and the Grabbers were far better. Much lighter (the Ripper weighed a ton) and much more articulate. The Ripper never could get out of mud phase for me. Basically the Ripper was a typical Gibson bass and the Grabber was not.

17. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    And strangely, my experience with both was the exact opposite to this description. I guess I'm probably going to save up for this reissue.

18. little-ripper

little-ripper

Jan 21, 2008
    well, if this is the bass I think you're talking about, i own it and it's a fantastic bass for the money. it's pretty bright being made of all maple, but it has a nice tone and the PJ configuration works well with it. i have the same on as the one in the first picture. It is pretty heavy though, but a nice thick strap will make it work.

19. Awesome replies... and at this point all they are is salt in a wound :(

I told the guy i could pick it up after band practice and he sold it to someone offering $350 while i was at practice...

kay serra serra i suppose.

But i DO love the body style, and i'll just be on the lookout now!

The one i was going to get has, like the first picture, the wood finish/black pick guard.

A friend of mine has one that is black on black. Sounds rad, but he also plays out of a monster rig so it was hard to gague what was the bass and what was the wall of amps.

All the feedback helps. Thanks!!