1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Epiphone Ripper. Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Mar 25, 2009.

1. um. i think you misunderstood what i said..cause i said the the ripper is better than the grabber.not the grabber is better than ripper...

2. well,i could have said "how do you know? it's not even out yet."but judging by how much the grabber reissue was,i'd imagine a ripper reissue couldn't be much cheaper.

3. Yeah I know. And I think that the Grabber is much better than the Ripper in my experience.

Which is why I said "I could not disagree more"

4. opps. misread.sry bout that :meh:

5. ddrummer

ddrummer

May 4, 2010
    As my log in name states I'm a drummer that simply like's to play bass. I don't have alot of experience doing so. I had an old 5 string yamaha and just hated it, so I kept my eyes open for a cheap 4 string. Hanging in a music store I saw an Epi Ripper ( single pick up version) played it and bought on the spot. I paid $125.00 cdn. A super cool bass easy to play and sounds great. The bass player in one of my bands has a choice between a musicman, Fender P bass he begs me to bring mine. Don't know if I agree but he like mine the best.

6. TorontoGene

TorontoGene

Jun 11, 2010
    Its true that there are two very different version. One from the mid-late 90s with a single soapbarish pickup, and the more recent version with the P/J setup (***??).

I have a black 90s version (black was apparently pretty rare) that I paid around $300 for. Its big and heavy but generates a surprising amount of tone and decent range. Being a KISS tribute Gene, I have it as my 3rd or 4th backup. Having said that, its really not a bad bass at all. I like it quite a bit better than a 70s Ripper I had.

I'd really like a Grabber or G3 and welcome any comments on those.

Cheers

7. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    Preference....

Please IMO that.

8. ddrummer

ddrummer

May 4, 2010
    i bought a epiphone ripper for $125.00 it is the version with only one pick up. This Bass sounds awsome i was trying to find some info on it and can't find anything. there is a ton of stuff on the 2 p/u version nothing on the 1. Can someone direct me to a good web site where I could find out the year and stuff like that and yes as the name suggests I'm a drummer dabling with the bass.

9. Jonny122

Jonny122

Nov 30, 2014
    i have none
    I own a 2002 ripper, Mine was a little abused so i had to get it up to scratch but honestly the pick ups are good and its very diverse captureing the sound of both the jazz bass and p bass see if you can pick up their worth the money. Bit heavy though so if you dont like heavy basses maybe its not for you.

10. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

May 25, 2009
    Stavenisse
    Bill lawrence designed the circuit and pickups for the ripper with two single coils and varitone. Innovation at the time.

11. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    These were made in the 90s, I never owned one but played a few. Not a bad bass by any means, well built but heavy as I recall. I think they had a P/J pickup layout, not a bad thing makes it easy to mod with lots of replacement choices. $300 if it is in excellent shape is a good but not great price.

12. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Epi had two Ripper reissues. The first was sometime around 1998-2002 or something. It had a single pickup, similar to those found on the Epi T-birds.

The second Epi Ripper reissue was (IMO) a killer bass. (I never played one of the earlier ones.) Not much like the old Gibby Rippers (I used to have a '76 Gibson Ripper I still miss a lot) in that they had a P/J pickup configuration and bolt-on neck, but they were great little machines I thought. I had one in natural and one in black at two different times. Sadly had to part with them both.

BIG bodies. In fact, I never could find a case that would fit one. And I tried a dozen different things.

Mike A likes this.
  13. Mike A

Mike A

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I had one of the single pickup Rippers and a coffin case that housed it (barely.) Nice, interesting bass, but it was far too Precision-like for my tastes. Bought and sold it earlier this year for around $300 with case IIRC.

14. I only have with the Gibson Ripper.
    See if you can get a serial # from your friend and get a year, so you can figure out which reissue you are looking at maybe that can help you and others determine a fair price

15. ezweave

ezweave

Feb 20, 2015
    So many opinions in one post...

I remember the two Epi versions of the Ripper. They do not sound like the OG Gibson model, but that's really immaterial. As for tone on Rippers vs Grabbers, I think Brian Cook (Botch/TAAS/Russian Circles) put it best:

Bass-wise, I’ve been a long-time fan of Gibson Grabbers and Rippers, which I used towards the end of Botch and through the entirety of These Arms Are Snakes’ run. But for the past few years I’ve used a First Act Delgada bass quite a bit. It’s weighted more evenly than the Gibsons. I currently have two Rippers and Grabbers and they all sound radically different, but the First Act is a good sonic middle ground between all of them. (source)

Which is to say, I have played a few Grabbers and a Ripper and the Grabbers all sounded different from each other. Whether this was due to time or some variance in Gibson QC during the Norlin era, I don't know (of course they also made the RD Artist, which is a killer bass). I do remember the Epi Ripper sounding more like a deluxe P bass (with the second reissues' pickup configuration, that makes sense). For $300 it's worth trying. No one ever complained about the sound of a P bass... (well a good one).

16. Stradivarius

Stradivarius

Aug 27, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Here a short demo, showing the tone from the 3 different pickup positions.

alaskaleftybass and lowdownthump like this.
  17. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Sounds great. I've always been curious . Now I know . Thanks for posting .

18. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I saw the bass player for DEVO playing a Ripper through an Acoustic Control Corp head and an Ampeg 810 cab. It was one of the most awesome sounding rigs that I remember from loud rock concert days.

I recommend you buy it and try it out. You might like it. I've wanted a Ripper ever since they came out. This comes from the same makers of the orginal.

19. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Well the couple Grabbers I've had experience with left a lot to be desired. The whole 1 pickup that could be in 2 positions via plastic slider might have been something when they were brand new, but after 20 or so years and admittedly less than adequate care and cleaning left then wonky. 1 was completely frozen in the rear position, 1 took both hands to get to slide and not have a side get off track (imagine playing live going to switch positions and getting stuck).

Cool idea but probably not meant for durability.

20. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Either that or it had a lot of sweat, skin, and beer in it... freezing the rails.... :bored: