1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EQ before or after compression?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Nov 15, 2006.

1. I read it somewhere, im sure it was on here, the sonic differences between the two, but i cant find it anymore. Can anyone point out the basic differences between running it one way as opposed to the other?

Cheers!

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    If you want to change the tonal distribution that's coming out from the compressor - such as to regain lows some compressors shed or just to sculpt final tone, put EQ after. If you want to affect the compressor's operation itself, before. Ferinstance if you have a lot of energy in the mids this will cause the compressor to compress more/earlier. This may affect what ranges of your bass are being heavily compressed and which are not. It's all to taste, and experimentation will find what works best for you.

That said, I like being able to place my compressor in various parts of the signal chain on a per-patch basis in my V-Bass.