Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EQ for bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doctorlow, Dec 13, 2005.

1. doctorlow

doctorlow

Dec 13, 2005
    Does anyone have any tips for EQing the amp and Line6 BassPodXTlive? I can get a big booming bass sound but I don't have any clarity in the mid and highs. What frequencies and levels work? My gear: Stingray 5 string, BassPodXTLive, Carvin 1000 amp, biamping a Hartke 215 cab and SWR 215 Jr Goliath.

2. Turning down the bass knob sounds like the way to go here. That's guaranteed to bring up your mids and highs.

Other than that I sometimes like to boost a little at around 800hz and 2.5khz

3. e.maynard

e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia
    Try starting with the Stingray's EQ flat (detent), and the POD thing flat.....if there is such a setting. Then move from there. There should be no missing mid clarity from a MM bass. Try subtractive EQ, as was mentioned above.

Also, try getting the wall of 15's off the floor a little perhaps.

4. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    With ANY EQ'ing, it is usually best to cut before boosting... Once one thing is boosted then everything needs to work harder to make up for the boosting.

Definatly less bass is the way to go.

For my setup, i disable the EQ for most of my presets and use my own amps EQ

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    And not only does it have to work harder to make up for the boost, but too much boost at any frequency sounds false and overly excited.