1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EQ pedal and fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gonzo476, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    I have one empty spot in my pedalboard, and I was thinking of adding an EQ pedal to help my fuzz to cut through the mix a bit more. My question is, where would it be best to place the pedal, right before the fuzz or after?

2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    There's no rules, but I'll say before... On all distortion units you'll have the EQ part before the distortion circuit. That way you'll control the frequencys going into the fuzz.

3. sunbeast

sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Either will work in a different way to change the tone- putting it before can help boost or cut certain frequencies to change how the fuzz clips/reacts, which is how I like to run an EQ in my chain. A problem with running it after is the possibility that you might clip the input on the EQ pedal- this will depend on what kind of EQ you get and how loud you run your fuzz and anything else before the EQ. I have been able to clip a few EQ pedals I've owned just with the a high output bass paired with an overdrive, so that is something to consider (most likely that clipping will just make your fuzz sound a little less awesome and more buzzy/farty).

4. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    I'd go after and I'd use a VT Bass.
    But that's just me.

Swiegand51 likes this.
  5. bobbertdole

bobbertdole

Jul 13, 2012
    I use passive basses and use my eq pedal to enhance the basses tone and boost the signal before my fuzz and overdrive pedals to add more grit so its first in my chain. But to repeat what everyone else has been saying its all about your taste. Try both and see what you like.