1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EQ Pedal for Upright

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Seanto, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    So i have a Fishman Plat Stage running into my GK MB200 head. I've been playing alot with the knobs to dial in a sound that pleases me, between both the head and preamp. While i can dial in a decent tone, i can't help but think an EQ pedal would greatly enhance my ability to do so. The bass/treble/mid sweep on the Fishman seems kind of limiting.

Would an EQ pedal be a worthy addition to the chain or would you think just springing for a beefier preamp would be a better option? Also, any EQ pedals that you might suggest?

2. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing... Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    Although a lo-tech suggestion, I’ve had good results and years of reliability with a humble Boss Bass EQ. 1MOhm input, seven band eq plus plenty of gain boost (or cut).

armybass, jmlee and Seanto like this.
  3. Seanto likes this.
  4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    While EQ will help it will also change
    the signal, so sometimes it can complicate the issue I’d reccommend
    getting a preamp that will solve your issues.

5. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    +1

6. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    IME, one parametric mids control plus bass and treble controls (which Fishman preamp has) is potent enough to solve most situations...

The fact that you feel a need to fiddle with the knobs on your amp and preamp suggests that you actually do not like the sound of your equipment. I would recommend identifying which piece of equipment it is and than replace it. Try all sorts of combinations: amp+cab without the preamp; cab with different amp, amp with different cab, preamp into mixing console etc....

7. ^my thoughts exactly. Maybe your pickup is not right for that bass...? What exactly is wrong with your sound?

WillieB and Zbysek like this.
  8. bigshiny

bigshiny Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2010
    St Louis MO
    What cab are you using?
    Strings, P/U, volume of other band members/drummer all have a factor in this issue.
    And even though the MB200 does get some love for sound and convenience it is only 200 watts.
    So depending on stage volume as mentioned above you might be running out of power.
    Just my .02

Ric Vice and Zbysek like this.
  9. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    If you only have the GK MB200, it can work, but my guess is that that little amp is just hitting the wall, so to speak. That said, I gigged with a Gallien Krueger 200MB for many years, and it only produced 80 watts into 4 ohms. There's something about that particular pre amp and cabinet that was very "efficent" for double bass. My guess is that it was the EQ section. A pedal won't really solve your problem, because it may make the distortion worse. So, perhaps, if you can afford it it's time to think about a new head. Of course there's the GK500 and 800 if those amps are your cup of tea. Just my opinion of course

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Seanto likes this.
  10. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Setup is Rev Solo II into Fishman Plat Stage into GK MB200 head into Eden 1x12 EX. I can get a usable sound on the gig, but like most bass players with a piezo pickup, i want to be sure i am getting the best tone possible. Admittedly i need to play more with the mid control on the Fishman, but just not a fan of how these types of mid frequency controls work. They seem limiting to me, but maybe i haven't mastered it. I don't dislike the sound, i just don't LOVE it.

@Ric Vice , your mention of the degradation of the signal chain makes sense...better to get what you want in a single unit, AKA a nicer preamp. I think if i were to replace something first it would be that. I like the look of of the Headway preamps and would also love to dabble in blending. Definitely will eventually replace the head to something beefier as well in the future when i can afford it as i'm sure that would help. As you can see, most of my gear is on the "Value" side, lol. Portability is also a big factor for me so my setup is pretty small.

Ric Vice likes this.
  11. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    I have a Rev Solo on my bass as a backup to my Full Circle. The Rev Solo is a finicky pup. It has a crazy wide frequency range - huge lows and growly mids. I plugged mine in today to practice a little. Im always reminded that I prefer the Full Circle as it’s more “forward” and present in the mix.

Ok - so everyone’s experience is totally different & subjective, but I rarely use the RS on a gig. It is a “natural” sounding pup at lower volumes, but the FC is much better platform for amplification. IMHO YMMV ETC

Seanto likes this.
  12. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Not doubting your experience in the slightest. I recently removed the copper Realist from my bass in favor of the Rev Solo. The Realist was extremely limiting on the high end and would kind of disappear as i crept up the G string. I don't feel i have a weak acoustic sound either. I think the Rev Solo simply takes a little more massaging to get it where you want it, but has more consistent tone in all areas of the neck. It's capturing alot of information, and i think could use some cutting to highs and minor boosting in certain areas of the mid-range(surgically). I'd love to try a Full Circle someday..along with a number of other pickups and even contact mics!

13. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Eden 1x12 EX 4 ohm 300 watt. I've actually been fortunate to play with some tasteful drummers lately(or none at all) and haven't needed to crank the amp past 1/3 of its gain. But i suppose it can also be a question of headroom too, right?

14. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    Thanks for the info - yeah you need to tame that RS. I’d say an fdeck / hpf could help.

Also the boss eq can cut at 50 and sculpt all the mids for a workable sound on my RS.

Or - update the head to a GK 500/800 with 1MOhm input & headroom & more built-in eq / comp options into that killer eden cab. Boom.

Seanto likes this.
  15. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Fdeck will definitely tighten up and focus the very low end.

For a flexible, musical EQ these are tough to beat:

ParaEq-top_1024x1024.jpg

Seanto likes this.
  16. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    I've been using the Radial Bassbone 1 for about 3-years and swear by it. ... Very well made, two channels, one with EQ, one with notch filters and a boost button. ... I do a reg jazz gig and plugging into that using the notch channel, then using the boost for soloing works really well. ... Can be picked up for about $100 used.

Seanto likes this.
  17. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    Hey I got the older NS Design NXT (not the NXTa) no battery just the sound of strings on the pickup. Today at church, I had the right tone I really wanted - but one issue.

The signal was not that strong to the board ( I sit right next to the board) so only a 10 ft cord from my NXT to the board.

What can I do to get stronger signal to the board, my precision plugged into the board direct sounds great and strong.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

18. You need an impedance buffer or a preamp with a high impedance (>= 1 MegOhm) input and put it directly following your passive piezo output.
    If you have a volume pot at the NXT, set it to full volume, since then (as far as I remember) the volume pot is switched off and the sound is better. (But I might mix that up with the additional Gage volume control which in my eyes is pretty useless.)
    If you have a tone control on the NXT set it to maximum brightness and control the sound at the board or preamp.

The reason why you need that is that mixer boards have a lower input impedance which changes sound (specially the harder you play) and let the signal partially break down which is the reason why the signal is so weak. The passiv piezo cannot deliver as much electrons as the low input impedance needs, so the voltage breaks down.

19. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    Thank you for the answer - any likes in aftermarket pre amps. I like the sans amp for electric bass - but not sure that would work for the EUB.

thanks again

20. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    FDeck HPF Pre would do.
    Other preamps:
    Fishman Platinum Stage or Platinum Pro.
    EBS MicroBass II.
    MXR M81.
    Grace Alix, Felix or BiX.
    Tech 21 Q Strip