1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EQ settings (Newbie Question)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Captain Christ, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Captain Christ

Captain Christ

Mar 13, 2008
    So, I'm doing a course in sound engineering in college and I have to do this thing called a graded unit. I chose for mine to record bass guitar techniques and choose the best mic'ing technique for each. What i want to know is with a 7 band EQ (50 100 250 500 1k 2k 5k) how you guys would set your amps for:

Picked Bass
    Fingered Bass
    Slapped/Plucked/Pinched Bass

And maybe a why as well, like for tonality or whatever.

CC

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Flat, flat and flat. I have the best luck with any amp I play or any style I play by setting it flat.

3. Captain Christ

Captain Christ

Mar 13, 2008
    Okay the hypathetically, say you were trying to bring out certain qualities in the sound, how would you do it with a 7 band EQ this is from a completey objective view as in you know what sort of frequencies basses tend to give out but you're not a player and you're knowledge would be based on technical specifications..?

*EDIT* I knid of need more than just a flat EQ, I made this kind easy for myself, I play bass myself and most of my EQ comes from my preamp, and i tend to flatten out my amp but this is more so I can say something about it and use visual representations of the EQ for pictures if you catch my meaning.

4. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I'm the wrong guy to ask, quite honestly. Any variations in tone I get are from picking style and picking location.

5. Captain Christ

Captain Christ

Mar 13, 2008
    Well, I'll just wait around for a bit and lurk the other boards, see if anyone else can be of assitance, thanks for your input though, I might quote you if I get a lot more of the same feed back about leaving a flat EQ.

6. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Normally I don't use the EQ on my SVT 3 Pro, BUT lately I've been playing around with a new EQ setting for some extra punch. I used to scoop the mids (300hz - 900hz) and use a U pattern when I played in a punk rock band because it was the only way I could get through the guitars. Then I played with a pick and I could get more definition in my lows, but now I find myself almost exclusively doing fingerstyle so I'm tweaking. My EQ is 9 band so hopefully this can translate to what you're looking for.

33hz +6db
    80hz +3db
    150hz -2db
    300hz -3db
    600hz -2db
    900hz flat
    2Khz +10
    5khz +5
    8 khz +2

that bump at 2khz gives me some clarity that I've been looking for

7. Captain Christ

Captain Christ

Mar 13, 2008
    Thanks for that, I'm finding it quite difficult to browse the site from campus, it really doesn't like loading up the pages, but Jimmy thanks for that, I think i can definetly do something with that. If anyone else has any more input I would be greatly appreciative. I'll check back later.

CC

8. makaky

makaky

Mar 26, 2004
    Montreal Canada
    This is not luck bro:bassist:

9. makaky

makaky

Mar 26, 2004
    Montreal Canada
    +1

10. makaky

makaky

Mar 26, 2004
    Montreal Canada
    Youl be looking to get the best signal as possible. If your recording, EQing your input signal is not a good thing because no matter how good your EQ is, it WILL alter your input to tape and you might run into problems cutting it in the mix.

Before touching the EQ ( not recommended) try different mics and different positions.

11. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    i find that a flat eq to start with first is best, then a click here and a click there to adjust to the room, i know sometimes it sounds thin on stage,but it pounds out in front, thats why the guitar man and i differ with each other, he likes that boomy deep sound (as we all do) but in life sh#^ just doesn't happen, you make it so

12. I don't have a 7 band eq, just Bass, Mid-shift, and treble but I set it like this:
    Bass +3db
    Mid 250hz +9db
    Treble +1or2db
    Hope this is somewhat helpful.

13. how you set your eq is entirely dependant on what bass you have, what amp you have and what sound your ears like... it's also dependant on what other instruments are in the mix as to what eq is gonna let the bass sit best in the mix or cut through...

for my taste:
    picked bass - scoop the mids a bit between 300 and 600 somewhere
    finger style - flat or with a slight mid boost
    slap bass - slight low and treble boost

14. Watch the high mids when doing pick style, can get clicky really fast around 2K, bit of 2K is nice for finger stuff if like a fair bit of string/finger noise present if that's how you wanna cut through.

All depends on the mix though as people have said. I pretty much always boost low end for whatever I'm playing, but I'm usually playing pretty heavy or rocky music. But that's due to the magic enhance control on my amp that allows me to do so without loosing a nice tight sound, just makes it sound nice and deep and rumbles the floor.

Floor rumbling doesn't matter as much in the studio cos it's best to get a clear sound and you can add the lower end back when mixing and mastering in my experience.

15. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    I like to keep my mids all flat,
    and boost my highs and lows.
    so it looks like a smiley face.

But as someone said you will prob get better results just making everything flat.

16. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I don't use the EQ on the amp. I mainly use my MXR80 to get my sound. Use the color buttom to get the sound i wanted, then use my amp to push the low mid or mid abit to cut via the mix. If low end needed i can always use the bass knob on the MXR.

So basically i leave everything flat on my amp.

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I suggest you PM tommixx or do a search on his name with the word "record" or "recording".

He is very knowledgeable on the subject.

18. i use almost the same settings as boss suggests for slap bass on their geb-7 eq
    you can download their manual and check out other sample settings
    other times i have the eq curves resembling a hump with peaks ranging from extreme low mids to high mids depending upon the sound requirement and how old the strings are

19. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Here are some random thoughts I wrote down that may be of help:

EQs are treated like the plague on this board. Personally, I use the hell out of mine. That's why it's there. One thing to be aware of is that a lot of amps have built-in EQ curves, so you may want to check that out for your project.

Rooms and cabinets vary, but in my opinion, there are a few things that are universal.

Given your 7 EQ bands: If I was playing slap and wanted more attack, I would boost at 1.6K. You don't have that band, so I would try splitting the difference with the 1K and 2K. If I wanted more attack when I was popping, I would boost around 3K, or try the 5K on your EQ.

Live, I would set the high end bands of the EQ like I'd want it for slap, and then adjust my technique and tone knob to tame the high end for finger-style.

For recording, be aware of the increase in noise (hiss) you'll get by boosting the 2 and 5K.

In my opinion, 100Hz is the magic frequency for bass, and the most important band on your EQ. That's your "punch" and the meat of your tone. Don't go too crazy with it. I think 100Hz is the only slider on my EQs that I would NEVER cut.

I think of 250Hz as the "honk" control. If you want a more smooth sound playing finger-style, try cutting it a little. If you want to stick out a lot, try boosting it a little. If you want a modern slap tone you may want to cut this one a little. If you want an old school slap tone, leave it flat or boost it a little.

Set the 500Hz till you like the tone.

50Hz is a tough one. Frequency bands this low REALLY depend on the room/cabinet situation.

20. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I'll play.

Picked Bass
    50 - 3:00
    100 - 3:30
    250 - 4:00
    500 - Flat
    1k - 10:30
    2k - Flat
    5k - 3:00

Fingered Bass
    50 - 4:00
    100 - 4:00
    250 - 2:00
    500 - Flat
    1k - Flat
    2k - Flat
    5k - 11:00

Slapped/Plucked/Pinched Bass - I really don't know, I'm not much of a slapper.