ESP LTD B206-SM vs. Ibanez SR506

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BDiggity, Oct 21, 2021.

1. BDiggity

BDiggity

Oct 21, 2021
    Greetings! First official post here after reading for years. After about 30 years of playing bass, I’m looking to get a six string. Because I’ve always followed a “punk rock ethic” budget, I’m really only considering basses under $500. These two are both currently available locally, and I’m wondering which one you would choose and why: the ESP LTD B206-SM or Ibanez SR506. Both listed for $400, both super clean. Thanks! ✌❤️

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Either one.
    Both are good basses.
    See which one feels and sounds better to you.

BDiggity likes this.
  3. BDiggity

BDiggity

Oct 21, 2021
    Thanks, Les! Good point. I’m all about feel. Forgot to mention that I dig funk, looking to get more into jazz, and have a history of playing music commonly labeled “jam band,” if that helps. Fan of Mike Watt, Larry Graham, Mingus, Geezer, Flea, Christian McBride, etc.

4. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    If it helps, I had one of the LTD 5strings and thought it was a very good bass.
    I have never been a big fan if the Ibanez “sound”. But that’s up to you to decide

BDiggity likes this.
  5. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    The Soundgear one would probably or most likely be lighter weight than the LTD.

Once, I almost bought an LTD B206SM when I was in search for the 6 string bass that fitted me the most (though I came out from the store with its sibling, the LTD D6). Few moons later the search went on, which then I got a few more 6ers, until finally I got a Soundgear SRFF806, which is the only 6 string bass I still own (exclude the Bass VI type 6er) despite I mostly play 5 string basses.

My SRFF806 is only 3.8kg, which is very comfortable for an hour or two hour gigs, whereas the others varied in the range of 5 to 6 kgs.

BDiggity likes this.
  6. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Here's my 2 pennies, I have a LTD B-206SM as well and I also own 2 Zon Legacy Elite 6 strings, as far as the LTD B-206SM it's an AWESOME instrument except 2 things, the pickups are slightly thin sounding but I make it work cause I play the bass thru a ToneBone BassBone pedal and it sounds great, the other issue I had was the tuners were falling apart so I replace all the tuners with Hipshot licensed tuners and problem solved.
    My favorite thing about my LTD is the neck, the fret work is spot on and the neck feels so good and I dig the double truss-rods and I get KILLER low-action on this bass with no buzzing what's so ever.
    Seriously AWESOME bass for the price!!!!​

BDiggity likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022