1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ESP LTD fanned fret B1005-SE?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nyangsw, Dec 25, 2016.

1. nyangsw

nyangsw

Apr 26, 2012
    Hello,
    I'm looking for a affordable fanned fret 5 string bass.
    I see some bad reaction about Ibanez SRFF.
    Now I put my eye at ESP LTD B1005-SE multi-scale.
    How about B1005-SE(tone, quality, playability...etc)?
    How about this bass compare to Dingwall Combustion/NG-2?
    And what's the string sapcing? It's hard to find the information.
    Thanks!

2. SleazyB

SleazyB

Sep 25, 2016
    Frankfurt a.M.
    I played it and its terrible.
    The pricing is way high and the build-quality is nothing you´d expect in this price range. Better off saving up for a Dingwall, NG-2 ain´t that expensive either, so why settle for a poorly built bass if you can go for the real deal?

nyangsw likes this.
  3. What did you hear bad about SRFF? I have the srff806 snd gave no complaints about it.

fcleff likes this.
  4. Bozendoka

Bozendoka

Mar 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    I've got a B1005SE and I like it a lot, as much as my V1 Combustion. I don't see anything wrong with the build quality at all. Tone wise what stands out to me is that it's very responsive to where and how you play, it's easy to get a lot of different tones out of it. Playability is great, my only gripe is that the nut is cut pretty tall, it can be uncomfortable when fretting a C or an F on the first fret. Oh, and the heel is really big which could be an issue if you like to play way up the neck. I haven't played a more recent Combustion so I can't say how it stacks up against what's available now but I think they're good basses.

Pyrat likes this.
  5. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Slight necro bump. Anybody know the string spacing on these?

6. doublehorn

doublehorn

Feb 7, 2014
    Rossland, BC
    Hey Bozendoka, since you're one of the lucky ones who already owns a B1005SE, maybe you can help me out with a question for which I haven't been able to track down a good answer: When in passive mode, which if any tone controls still function? I'd imagine the EQ knobs don't do anything while passive, but does pickup pan pot still function for instance? Volume, hopefully?

7. Also trying to find one of these LTDs...very difficult to locate!

8. tubedude

tubedude

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    Another happy SRFF806 owner here.

9. Bozendoka

Bozendoka

Mar 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Hey doublehorn, I just tested mine out and the EQ knobs do nothing while passive but the volume and pan knobs still work.

10. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I just picked up an excellent condition SRFF806, put new strings on it and am very happy with the feel and sound of it. Near mint condition and it only set me back $450 plus the new strings. Setup is nice and action is where I like it. So no complaints here.
    I have never played a fanned fret bass before and felt like this one, at a 35.5” scale was tame enough to get my feet wet. It will see it’s first gig in a couple of weeks.

f

11. doublehorn

doublehorn

Feb 7, 2014
    Rossland, BC
    Thanks for replying on that one, Boz. Since I posted that question, I've just gone ahead and purchased a B1005, which I love. Now that I've had a chance to play the instrument for a while, the one trick I wish it did would be to turn one of the tone knobs into a master tone while in passive mode. It really is just fine with the full passive tone going out to the jacks, especially going out to an outboard preamp with an EQ section, but this would be a perfect instrument with that one little wiring mod. I half considered wiring that change up myself, but the tone control cavity was too scary when I opened it up. Just gonna leave it.