1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ESP LTD Standard Series B-4E or Ibanez SR Series SR300M?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by therh, May 3, 2010.

1. therh

therh

Mar 16, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Hello Everyone,

I have a ESP 400 Series J Bass copy (EMG actives) and I am looking to upgrade. I have been looking at different basses and these two spark my interest.

ESP LTD Standard Series B-4E

http://www.theperfectbass.com/explo...104031101&W=STORE&P=N&S=1001081&U=1&SS=1&CR=Y

and

Ibanez SR Series SR300M

http://www.theperfectbass.com/explo...103833101&W=STORE&P=N&S=1001081&U=1&SS=1&CR=Y

I am looking to play funk, jazz, blues, and praise and worship. What is a better build quality or just a better bass all around?

Thanks,
    RH

2. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Nov 1, 2009
    Geneva Ohio
    I have an ESP/LTD B404SM with active EMG pups,3band EQ. It will do anything I want it to.

The B4E has ESP's pups and EQ which would make the bass cost much less than what I have......Look around at the music stores and see if you can find the model I have used....I saw one not long ago for sale here I think. Retail new they are going for as much as $800 and lower. I have the spalted maple top swamp ash body model.....

http://stores.themusicbarninc.com/-strse-328/LTD-B404-dsh-SM/Detail.bok

3. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think both would sound very similar, and very good. However I'd always be kicking myself if I bought the Soundgear and not that awesome looking ESP. And I'm normally an Ibanez guy.

4. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    ESP all the way. String thru, neck thru, standard size pickups so they can easily be swapped out for a nicer set in the future, a nice dense bridge, and IMHO a better quality instrument all the way around. Better woods, better construction, and better hardware. A nice set of Barts and a Bart preamp and that ESP would move mountains.

PS - Get the nut on the ESP replaced first thing, the LTD models all get hollow plastic cheapies. A nut replacement shouldn't cost more than $50 and it will greatly improve the sustain and tone of the open string notes.

5. therh

therh

Mar 16, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    If I am looking at the ESP head on, what do the knobs do top to bottom, left to right? I am new to this as my bass has a volume, volume, and tone.

6. therh

therh

Mar 16, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Are there any other recommendations?

7. The knobs will be this:
    Master -- Bass
    ------- Middle
    Blend -- Treble

8. therh

therh

Mar 16, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Oh ok, I was not sure, but that is what I thought.

9. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    That ESP kicks some serious butt. Gut feeling, ESP! It's heavier, but not crazy. The SR is a lot lighter if that's something that may come into play.

10. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    Looking at the quality I would go for the ESP (er, LTD).

The Ibanez is nice looking, but honestly when I played one I didn't feel good about it.

Plus, the LTD is sexier IMO.

11. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Both are nice but between the two Id diff go with the ESP LTD. In this case its more bang for buck and more exotic high end looking etc. But the Ibanez if neck and tone of it more appeals to you.

12. anthonymcfadden

anthonymcfadden

Aug 23, 2009
    The 700$ LTD and the 400$ Ibanez are not really in the same class.. Id take the similar costing Ibanez sr700 over the ESP any day :bassist:

13. therh

therh

Mar 16, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    The LTD I am looking at is $500.

14. if youre going to get an ibanez, go with the sr500 series or above. all the difference in feel, as the newer sr300 and sr400 pickups curve inward to the point where they are nearly flush with the body on the ends, leaving nowhere to put your thumb (big point for me since thats how i play). and like stated above, comparing a $500 esp to a $300 ibanez isnt exactly a fair contest

that said, i own a 2008 ibanez sr400qm (before the curved pickups) and have played every sr ive seen, and many esp/ltd basses including the b4e. the clear coat on the back of the neck makes it a little 'sticky' and hard to move around on. the sr necks are smaller and faster, and access to higher frets comes about the same on both basses. the ibanez is lighter and more contoured. personally, ive never found a more comfortable bass. if youre comparing basses of the same price, ibanez over esp in my opinion

oh, and it comes stock with bartolinis...