1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EUB or a acoustic uprightbass?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Fred vd W, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Fred vd W

Fred vd W

Dec 29, 2011
    Hello everyone,

what do you think about the Landscape standard avc EUB?($600,-used) is it worth it to buy? or is a real uprightbass always a winner in sound and handle?

I have a nice uprightbass (Victor Pawlovski) and a old Fender jazzbass or is it better to spent money for a good pickup? (Realist) a like a fretless also

regards,

Fred vd W
    the Netherlands

2. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    I don't know that particular EUB, but FWIW, my take on the matter is that they are all different instruments. I think it's a mistake to buy an EUB thinking that it'll replace a DB. I have both, and while I spend considerably more time on my DB, the EUB is far better in loud amplified situations, and/or if you want any kind of affected sound while maintaining a similar (although not identical) playing technique. It is different from a fretless BG, in my view (scale length does make a difference, particularly with respect to the relative contribution of fundamental and harmonics to the tone), and sits somewhere between that instrument and the DB.

As always, the answer is, it depends what you want. I want both, and am fortunate enough to have both. I would steer you away from the el cheapo EUBs just as I would from the BSOs (bass-shaped objects) often referenced here.

3. I actually did buy an EUB with the hopes that it would be "close enough" to a DB for a project I was joining. But yes, it really depends on what you want to do with it and what your expectations are. I don't currently own a DB, but I play a BSX Allegro with an Irish Folks Pub band I'm in, and while yes, an actual DB would probably be a little better fit, for 90% of the tiny stages we play, the Allegro is perfect. If we record, I'll probably borrow/rent a DB for that. For me, the BSX is similar enough to the DBs I've had and played through the years, I feel fairly comfortable when I'm back on a DB.

Now I have to confess, the EUB I built a while back for purely pizz playing is WAY easier to play with it's 5" radius fingerboard and slightly shorter scale length... though as a solid body instrument, it really is closer to a fretless acoustic bass guitar than a DB.

4. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    If you already have a double bass, an EUB is a good tool to have. I don't play bass guitar, so it opened up a lot for me.

5. Why not if you have the money! I once bought a EUB for 3500$ one of a kind Alien Bass that stood at an exhibition for a week, I took it to a gig where the sax player ganged up with the piano player telling me to go home and get my old acoustic bass. So depends on what you play too! It happened again to me at a Dixieland gig where 20+ people pissed themselves laughing when I turned up with it except this time I was smart and had my other bass in the boot too! Today this EUB is behind the sofa as a skeleton without bridge or tuners and I hate it! I tried quite a few EUB and they all sounded like crap compare to a real UB! My EUB had proper bridge on it with Underwood Pickup and it sounded like a DB on every recording I have made using it. Today I think its better to be a one instrument bass player, I mean play and get to know one DB inside out, play the crap out of it and be one with it! Couldnt be happier. I honestly think that 99% of bass players focus too much on prostituting themselves to be the Jack of all bass instruments rather than be "master" of one! IMO

6. I've been using a BSX Allegro EUB for several years, and it's a good fit for a number of situations. I've used it for piano-bass duos, guitar-bass duos, jazz trios, big bands, and, most recently, for a community theatre production of "Show Boat". The instrument has a good tone for both arco and pizz, although it's admittedly not an exact duplicate of a good acoustic instrument.

When people ask what the instrument is, I facetiously tell them that it used to be a full-sized DB, but I got behind on the payments!

7. dbassnut

dbassnut

Apr 1, 2008
    Malaysia
    I have both a double bass & an NXT EUB. I got to EUB to reduce wear & tear on my upright. . Sound wise, I still prefer the double bass over the EUB but an EUB would be easier to lug around & if something happens to it (like my clumsy pianist walking into it), I won't cry so much. So, for sound, get a good acoustic upright, for convienience, an EUB. & practice like mad on both of them. I found at first that I could not get the sound I liked on the EUB but after a few weeks of getting used to it, I can get an almost upright bass sound.

8. Fred vd W

Fred vd W

Dec 29, 2011
    thank you all for the input you gave me...

regards,
    Fred vd Wende
    the Netherlands

9. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I also found that having not been trained on UB, going to an EUB was an easier transition. In fact, I've loved learning how to play my EUBs. No, it will not replicate an UB tone, but you can get close. You never get the depth or girth of fullness you get with UB. For my purposes playing jazz for wedding cocktail hours prior to our full band taking the stage, it works perfect and is something of a unique thing for people to look at and ask about. Also, load in is much easier obviously.

10. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I have bought a NXT and I only play arco ( I love classical muic ) and I'm please with how close the sound is to a real one. and I must say, in a appartment it is nice.

11. what the pluck

what the pluck

Oct 13, 2010
    Australia
    Hi, do you play arco seated with the NXT? If you do, how is it comfort wise? Can you get it sitting in the same spot as a DB? I too live in an apartment and practice DB alot and we all know the problems associated with that. I have been considering an EUB for practice only with headphones. Ideas?
    Cheers

12. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    As a theatre musician, there were so many times I had to switch to my electric bass at the last minute due to small theatre pits that buying an EUB (I went with an NS Design CR-5M) made a lot of sense for me. It sounds "close enough" to the Music Director and I'm pretty sure the audience doesn't know/care that it's not a legit one.

Look at your needs and use that as a gauge of whether or not an EUB would be right for you.

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'm about to get rid of my last upright electric (an NS Omni)... I've owned a couple. I bought them strictly for road work. They're nice if you have a use for them, and no, they don't replace a real bass. Now, if I'm doing tour work, I just contract for a real bass, and hope for the best.... what's life without risk? :rollno:.... As far as a personal travel bass goes... I'm going in a different direction entirely... (don't ask LOL)