1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eurosonic Mediums

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by GlenParks, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Anyone using these? I can't find anything on this gauge.

2. I hope @Mark Gollihur won't mind if I quote their Eurosonic web page:

Mediums are not much popular.
    I had some years ago, and they're rather stiff and the pitch on the lower strings, E in particular, can be ambiguous.
    Why are you asking about the Mediums in particular, if I may ask?

3. Well, I ordered some from Mr. Gollihur today on a whim. I have been playing spiro mittels all summer, fell in with an old time fiddle tune/barn dance group but we have more than a few 'tin pan alley' tunes, or what I think of as Dixie type old jazz tunes thrown in and that style has quickly become my favorite. I had a real desire to try spiro starks but doubt my shen is into that much tension, as it is when it gets hot the spirocores are killer, but when they stiffen up it is not what I am looking for, they seem to start choking on the D and last night on the A string. A string volume just dropped outta nowhere. I want something a bit Thuddier and with as little loss in volume as I can, I know nothing will be spiros in that regard. I had evah weichs on and there wasn't close to enough tension to drive the top it seemed. I thought, perhaps, they would be close to as stiff as the mittels, with enough tension to get a sound yet not so much as to choke. I'd love to know your thoughts.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Sam Dingle likes this.
  4. Maybe your bass would like less tension than more.
    Starting from normal pitch, you can detune a half-step at a time on all strings and listen to the bass to see if volume goes up.
    If that happens with a whole step, then get some solo-gauge strings and you're done! :)

5. Am I misunderstanding. Are euro mediums not less tension than spiros?

6. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I think they are less tension, yes - but due to their thickness and stiffness, they play like a heavier string. I believe that Francois' advice was more general, not specific to the particular string comparison.

Selim and GlenParks like this.

7. If that is true ^ I might be a happy camper.

8. That’s what I meant indeed, thanks Mark.

Mark Gollihur likes this.
  9. Francois thank you for your response, I don't disregard it, I will try that.

10. I meant to try that with your current strings which are Spiros if I understand well.
    The goal is to try to find out if your bass likes more or less tension.
    If may actually sound louder with less tension.

GlenParks likes this.

11. Got it. :)

12. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    I've only ever used the G from the Eurosonic set but my tension observations are that it was too loose next to Helicore mediums but perfect next to downtuned spiro solos. YMMV.

GlenParks likes this.
  13. ERIC A

ERIC A Supporting Member

I bought them from Gollihur's when they first came out. They are thick and feel heavy (btw I am a gut user). That said, I did like the lights.

GlenParks likes this.
  14. I am into them! Size feels good, volume is good, the bounce is good. I get the papery and buzzy stuff especially on the low E. But I really enjoy it. Very different. Try them out with the group this week. See how long they keep me happy, but so far so good. 20190813_164357.

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  15. HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    I love how they went over to a tan faux-gut look as opposed to the old white wrapping.

If the bottoms are too much for you, I've had good luck blending steel and eurosonics. These are sprio solos downtuned with a medium g and light D!
    Screenshot_20190813-162726.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    GlenParks likes this.
  16. The wrap is clear, and what is under it is yellowish in color. I'm digging that part too.

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  17. HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    They used to be this really cheesy true white that would look really dirty after some playing time!

GlenParks likes this.
  18. Word. I think I am digging the girth. I also have a krivo, gotta get more 3m lock, but am interested to see the difference through that compared to spiros.

19. Played outdoor unplugged gig with fiddle, banjolale, mandolin and guitar. Really, really liking this strings. If you are a sweaty, sweaty player with a harsh ph... like I am, the dry feel is a lifesaver. Loud, punchy, awesome.