1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Evah Pirazzi Strings + Krivo Magnetic Pickup?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by E_strat, Sep 24, 2017.

1. E_strat

E_strat

Jan 11, 2012
    Hey folks!

I've been a devoted Spirocore user for a little while now. I'm studying primarily jazz and contemporary styles at school, but I also take classical lessons and play in the string orchestra as well as big band.

It's no news that Spirocores don't bow particularly well, and even my jazz bass instructor (who has used Spiros almost exclusively for the last 40 years) recommended I make the switch over to Evah Pirazzi since I do such a wide variety of playing. I like the brightness and feel of the Spirocore weichs, however I'd like to try something that bows a little better.

My only obstacle is that the pickup I use is a Krivo Magnetic Pickup, which I have been very happy with. I have a Realist attached, but it doesn't get along with my amp very well so I really only use it through a PA. However, with the Krivo being magnetic, it won't accept anything but all-metal strings. I have a set of Zyex's that I liked but can no longer use since they're synthetic core.

My question now is will Evah Pirazzis work with a magnetic pickup? I read that they do have a synthetic core but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the two.

If not, what would be some recommendations for a mainly jazz player who also doesn't want to sound like nails on a chalkboard while playing a concerto?

Thanks!

2. Dr. Love

Dr. Love Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    I'm 99% sure Evahs won't work: not enough magnetic content. I've been using Flexocor Deluxe and play mostly pizz with some arco and find them pretty easy to get a good sound and they do work with a Krivo. Granted, they aren't spiros on pizz...but they aren't spiros on arco either. Another option if you try Evahs is a preamp to make the pickup and amp get along better.

DaveAceofBass and E_strat like this.
  3. Not happening. The core materials on Evahs and Oblis is the same. Give the Spiros a few years to die and practice with the bow a lot.

4. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Practice. here are 2 videos of spirocores sounding great arco:

5. E_strat

E_strat

Jan 11, 2012
    Thanks for sharing! You're definitely right about the practice part...

bskts247 likes this.