Ever Burn yourself out on a Bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm all Claypooled out... I always thought I'd be on some kind of mission to own everything Claypool. It seems more and more I'm in no hurry. And from hearing samples of Adrian Belew's new album, I'm almost discouraged from buying it from how... Claypool the Claypool tracks are. I don't know, but this is helping in a way. MY playing was becoming ultra Claypool, original riffs I was writing were sounding like forgotten Claypool riffs. Maybe that's one of the reasons... or maybe it's because I've been listening to Primus since 1999 quite religiously. A lot of his overplaying on CCBBB and Flying Frog Brigade pisses me off. I mean, on FFB, he way way way dominates the mix/playing. And I most certainly need a break from his "singing." That is what I dig about Belew's project... I dig his voice leaps and bounds over Claypools.

I dunno, i could rant a bit more, but I won't. Anyone else ever kinda overplay a hero, and grow to... dislike their faults I guess.
  2. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    This happened to me with rock music in general... If I never heard RHCP again I'd be a happy man.

plz don't flame me I have a brick wall :bag:
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Damn, I was going to flame you like a drag queen on a makeover show, but that brick wall stopped me cold. ;)

Anyway, Matt. it's actually a really cool album otherwise.

I get burned out on bass centered stuff, but never really a bassist in particular. At the end of the day I need more than just good bass/
  4. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
  5. I used to be a huge Primus geek. Then I discovered that there are tons of other great players out there. I still love Primus, but I love about 8 million other bands, too, now. I tend to 'rotate' through my favorites. I'm on a bit of a NoMeansNo binge right now.
  6. A better question might be, 'have you ever burnt everyone around you out on your current bass hero?' I made several people(who would've happily remained indifferent)severely dislike the Peppers as I poorly imitated the Flea.
  7. I do this all the time! It tends to be more band specific than bass player specific. A short list would include:

Willie Nelson
    Paul Simon
    Bob Marley
    and the list goes on and on...
  8. Kazuki

Aug 14, 2004
    100 % with you on that. I mean, bass is and will always be my instrument of choice and the one I relate to the best, but in the end, I like a lot more how bass relates to other instruments in a solid song.

After a while I guess all the bass centered stuff gets old for me. No offense of course for those that like these kind of projects, I completely respect that. :) But I guess I look more for a sense of unity in music...

As for the bassist I burned out of, it would be John Myung. And Dream Theater as a whole, for that matter... I am just not capable of enjoying them anymore.
  9. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I find I can't burn myself out on oysterhead. I wish they would do more...
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Amen to Blisshead on the bass centered stuff! Also, I'll get Adrian's album sometime... the only place that carries it around here right now is charging $19 for it!

Thee: I didn't really like Oysterhead... because of Claypool. This is one of those examples where I think Claypool's overplaying bothers me. Stew Copland comes from playing with a very spacious bassist (Sting) and his playing is very spacious. The drums on Oysterhead tend to be sparce and there could be good bass drum interaction, but except for like "The Army's on Extacy" there isn't. I almost swear Claypool doesn't listen to the drums much at all. All IMO.
  11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah I get burnt out of all of the usual suspects that talked about way too much on these boards...
  12. You can burn anything out really. Its just a case of overplaying a certain album or band until you're utterly p*ssed off with the same tracks. When albums start to drag, I tend to put them aside and forget about them. Then I 'rediscover' them about 8 months later and I'm all 'whoa!'
  13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I didn't care for Oysterhead because, to me, it represented a prime example of a collection of great musicians who simply did not sound all that good together.

On the other hand, CCBBB is a collection of great musicians who work well together and compliment one another, resulting in a GREAT end product (IMHO).

As for me, i burned myself out on Geddy in the 80s. In the past couple of years, I've gone back to listening to him a bit.
  14. man, I crashed and burned on Flea. Other bassist ruined him for me. all I heard at GC from idiot teens was Jungle Man, Higher Ground, Aeroplane, etc. etc. etc. etc. Flea's melodic lines are really good, but I find his slap to be obnoxious and annoyingly out of place a lot of the time.

I also find Fruscanti (sp????) to be grossly over rated. He works well with RHCP, but he's replacable. Flea and Kiedis hold teh band down, if one left it'd be sudden death IMO.

In closing, RHCP is a decent band, but all you bassist who think Flea's the best slapper out tehre ruined them for me:(
  15. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I've burned my self out of many a bands, it happens. The thing is, after finding more and more music out there that i like, i'm too busy exploring those artists. I do find however, that i do go back to my favourites in periods (RATM, Primus, Tool, old Green day, RHCP, RBF) theres a lot of local music/small bands that i love too.

It's just phases for me.
  16. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Stop seeing RHCP as flea and keidis then and think of them as a band. I think John is irreplaceable. You saw what happened on one hot minute..
  17. Yeah, me too.

I try not to saturate from a certain band/artist... which can be hard as IM CONSTANTLY listening to music. thankfully , I have a pretty big *cough* mp3 *cough* collection
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah, they put out their only album I like anymore! That album is great, and so diverse... and surprisingly mature. Everything else they put out, they sound like a bunch of little kids in their parents garage writing goofy little ditties to amuse their friends.

John's recent playing is pretty awful. Heroine is bad, Mmmkay.
  19. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Not burn't out.
    I look at it as reading a book.
    I'am into Jonas Hellborg at the moment.
    You find all the cool nuansces's, then go on to another player you like.
    You create a library. and go back a look anytime you want.
  20. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Well, in *theory*, he's been off the heroin since before he rejoined the Peppers.

I like Frusciante and i like the Peppers better with him than with Navarro or even with Hillel (probably not fair to compare to those days, though).

I do think that One Hot Minute was vastly underrated. There is some REALLY solid stuff on that CD.