1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Everyday storage of bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by PostBop, May 16, 2011.

1. PostBop

PostBop

Mar 19, 2011
    NJ
    Hi

Recently got a Shen hybrid. I keep it on a bass stand in my living room. This week it has been foggy, damp, and rainy and has got me thinking about how I should store the bass. Is it ok to leave it out in the room on a regular basis, and when should I put it in the gig bag?

I keep it away from the sun, it sits on the shady part of room. Its close to a window, about 3-4 ft., I haven't opened the window yet since picking up bass, but when it gets hot and I want to crack the windows, should I bag the bass? An important element in my case is the Bay is a block away and the Atlantic ocean maybe 3 miles. We have a beautiful summer breeze and I love keeping windows open mostly throughout the summer, what measures could I take to avoid damaging instrument?

Thanks

btw, since I got the bass I've been playing it nonstop and now I'm not sure what to do with my BG's, should I chop them up and make a protective hut for the Shen?

2. Barely Oakley

Barely Oakley Banned

May 10, 2011
    I've heard never leave a bass, even in it's case where the temperatures constantly are changing. Like under an air conditioning duct or by a window that the sun shines on.

3. My bass sat upright in it's case for over a year in the corner of my bedroom. temperature never fluctuated more than 15 degrees over 12 hours. Checked the setup and it barely even went out of tune.

If you're really worried, collect a few silica packs from some electronics and throw them in. I'd avoid leaving it by the open window, just put it in it's case and keep the temperature as even as possible.