1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Evidence Forte cables

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Paullee01, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Is anyone here using Evidence Forte cables on there bass? Seems to be a lot of reviews on the Lyric HG but nothing about the Forte. Just like to get some feedback from some users before I drop $260.00 on two 15 ft cords....I've used the Pro Life Lines for years and have always liked them. I am just trying to determine if there really will be a difference in sound quality???? Will be running two 15ft cables. One from Sadowsky bass to 4 effects pedals the other back to Thunderfunk amp.

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    In a recent thread I tested many cables with RTA, and was able to demonstrate 100% that when using an active bass, high end cables make exactly zero difference in sound. When using a passive bass with a long cable, then cable capacitance comes into play, and differing cable construction may have some audible effect. But with your Sadowsky, the Evidence cables would be a total waste of money.

3. Thanks for your review!!!!!

4. I don't own a Forte cable, but I did drop $125 three years ago on a Lyric HG cable.

I have to agree, with a quality active bass and good amp gear, I really haven't noticed a difference. I stopped using it about 2 years ago. I used a Bayou cable for awhile then a guitar-cable.com cables for awhile(best bargain IMHO).

These days I use a Shure wireless for the live shows. There are probably better wireless out there but honestly I haven't really noticed that much of a differene, including comparing the wireless to the Evidence Audio cable.

As the years go on, I feel it's more hype than anything.

Just my two cents.

5. I just recently started experimenting with some effect pedals and hear a slight clarity loss compared to running my bass directly to the amp. I did some trouble shooting and hooked up the pedals individually and the clarity loss was about the same. I concluded it was possibly the cable run each cable 20 ft. bass/effects- Effects/amp. I figured high quality cables would bring the clarity back???? Not sure if it's worth a $260.00 gamble and from what I gather from some of the feedback here the cables won't make a difference, especially with an active bass. It is frustrating I'm only running 4 pedals via power supply etc....

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Which specific pedals? Some are notorious tone-suckers, even when bypassed.

7. anonymous101511

anonymous101511 Guest

Mar 5, 2001
    Dean Markley Strings, Xotic Basses, Kubicki Basses
    HI, I would counsel against any sort of 'special' cable. I use regular old cable from guitar center or sam ash, whatever. As long as it's a decent shielded cable in proper working order, you're good to go.

8. I ordered some Canare GS-6 and am going to call it a day.....

9. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Let's see....$260 on two cables....that's called separating a fool from his money. Unless you lock yourself away in your personal studio and play alone all day and night, NOBODY is going to know a $130 cable from a $10 one, especially if there's anyone playing with you. Hard to believe a company can sell enough people on their BS to stay in business...

Think of it this way...accessories usually carry anywhere from 100 to 200% profit margin for a retailer. That $130 cable probably cost the retailer $50 tops from the manufacturer. Now take into account that at that price, it's not going to be a high-volume product. The manufacturer has to make money too, so their margin is going to be at least equal to the retailer selling at MAP. What you end up with is a cable that cost maybe $20 worth of materials/labor/overhead...and ask yourself if you can waste your money with a good conscience on something that you MIGHT be able to hear a difference with. Most likely the only difference you perceive will be the one that you want to hear to justify spending your money.

Just my $.02 =)

10. Great post. I know I feel suckered.

11. You guys are funny as hell!!! Yeah the 15 ft cord is $130.00 each the 20ft is $155.00. Like I said in the other post ordered two GS-6 with Nutrik connectors. Came to like 50 big ones.....I just had to get some feed back on the over priced cables. GOOD THING I DID. I might have been another sucker.....:meh:

12. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Point of diminishing returns....I know a lot of people the use Canare cables because it is good quality. There's a point where the reasonableness test gives way to somebody trying to make a buck at the expense of others. I'm not saying an expensive cable is not better than a cheaper one. There's plenty of cheap cabling that is garbage and wouldn't last a weekend on the road, but how do you quantify "better"? In my world that means a cable price doesn't have three digits before the decimal place :)

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You've been saved.

14. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    I use Evidence Lyric HG and Van den Hul and while I notice a difference at just playing at home not sure at stage volume you could tell the difference.One thing I have noticed is it is easier to tell suttle difference in tone is if you have someone else play your bass and switch between cables than if you do it by yourself.It seems you can concentrate more on the sound.I got mine at good prices here on TB so it was a little easier to put out the cash!The Evidence a rather Stiff the Van den Hul has the cut proof coating but it is not as stiff.Lava Cables has a web site and has most of these cables and prices.

15. My Canare GS-6 cables arrived today and I replaced my old Pro Co Life Line cables. I did compare the two and can actually hear a difference. The GS-6 isn't as bright and seems to have a warmer tone or more of a compressed sound. I am not sure if that is the characteristic of a better cable but they do sound different. I couldn't justify $$$ buying the Evidence cables

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    right on, vail. i just picked up a twin pack of 20 ft samson cables from sam ash for $25. and all my effect jumper cables are the plastic molded kind that you can buy on ebay for $10 for 10. canare cable is nice, but even that isn't cheap enough for me. as for the capitance of longer cables, all i've ever noticed is a slight loss of high end on the most high of high frequencies. maybe a dog would notice the difference, and it's true that sometimes there are dogs at my outdoor shows, but they don't seem that interested in my frequency response.

screw expensive cable! get something durable, yes, but don't fall victim to the hype!

17. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    [​IMG]

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    dude, if i wasn't married i'd totally buy her a drink! when you're 49, a broad like that looks pretty hot.