1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EVM-15L

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Viviuos, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    I bought a used peavey combo 300. The speaker had been replaced with a evm 15l. My dog at the speaker, all that is left is a magnet and a basket. I'm looking into getting it re-coned but most of my research has said that the speaker is a guitar speaker. Will this speaker handle the sub 40 Hz of a 5 string? Sorry this is so brief, I'm already late for work.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No. Try an Eminence Kappalite 3015, one will work better than two EVs. BTW, the sub 40Hz of 5 string isn't much, search 'harmonics'. You only need strong response to 50 Hz, but an EVM15, either L or B, doesn't do much below 80Hz.

3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    It didn't take long after getting my first 5 string home to realize that my beloved EVM15-loaded cabinets were not up to the task. I love these speakers with a 4 string bass, but they are not friends of the low B string.

4. Charles Fields

Charles Fields

Mar 30, 2009
    Do you still have the black widow magnet if so just buy a replacement basket.if not find a used widow and slap it in there those amp's are made for those speaker's.

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    How classic! :D

6. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I think the OP meant that the basket and magnet belonged to the EV...I like Black Widows, but honestly, Eminence has made some-IMHO-major strides with their Delta and Kappalite speakers. They perform miraculously for their price point, are durable, efficient and have good frequency response. Oh, heck-they just sound good! One of the problems that I have had in the 25 years that I have used Black Widows, was that the surround or spider have always come unglued-regardless of whether the speaker was in use or simply in storage. This has been true with Peavey's Scorpion series of drivers as well. I have tried in vain to get an 'official' explanation for this behavior, but all I have gotten was that it was a bad batch of glue-we'll send you a replacement. Kudos to Peavey for that. Heck, they have been so very accommodating over the decades for me that I cannot find fault with the company. My theory is that with the unfinished baskets, the aluminum frame developed corrosion and that the aluminum oxide separated from the 'good' aluminum and caused the glue joint to fail. I believe the baskets are now coated from Peavey, so this should no longer be an issue. I have been so enamored with Eminence's new neo series that all of my BW's are being replaced with them when the time is right.

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    personally, i like the sound of EV15L's better than Eminence 3015's. 3015's don't have much going on at 80hz and below either. and to me, they have a harsh peak at 1.5-2K that i don't care for. the 3015 is great if you use a crossover, but to me, the 15L is a smoother sounding speaker in a single speaker cab (i.e. no crossover or mid/high drivers).

of course, the 3015 does handle gobs of power.

just my opinion...........

AlexanderB likes this.
  8. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    Thanks for the feedback everybody. I think the cheaper route is going to be to recone my ev. I don't gig so i just need something to play around with.

9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    It wasn't until I needed a loud low A that I started looking for other speakers. Overall the EVM 15L is still one of my favorites. There may be newer speakers that look better on paper, but they don't sound better - at least for 4 string bass in a rock or blues context.

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    +100!

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My old 80's mesa cabs still have their original 15L's, and all my projects have always had basses tuned 1/2 step down. I had no problems playing 5's for years and being audible, even in my 'metal years'.

12. beyondthe48

beyondthe48 Guest

Apr 29, 2007
    i cant seem to find any new EVM-15L's out there - even called EV

is there any modern equivalent? and is the kappalite 3015 equal in specs?

i got a dietz 1x15 with a evm15L and would like to get a newer speaker with the same specs.

13. beyondthe48

beyondthe48 Guest

Apr 29, 2007
    also the specs i saw for the evm15L said it had a 2.5" voice coil, well mines 4" is this a different model and if so, what is the new equivalent to an evm15L with a 4" voice coil, 8 ohm, 300watt?

14. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm not up on the EV stuff but that may be a different speaker. They did make some other versions. Hopefully someone will chime in.

FWIW I loved those old 15L's. Great Speakers.

Also the 15L is no longer available for those wanting one but the 12L and 12L BL are available. I have one of the new 12L's and love it.

15. beyondthe48

beyondthe48 Guest

Apr 29, 2007
    just swapped out the EVM-15L in my Dietz 1x15 with a 3015. just wondering what the $$value of an EVM-15L from 84' or so is? its got a little silicone around the rim, but sounds just fine.

16. beyondthe48

beyondthe48 Guest

Apr 29, 2007
    pics

Attached Files:

17. beyondthe48

beyondthe48 Guest

Apr 29, 2007
    more pics

Attached Files:

18. Depends on who is buying the speaker. I have seen them go for around 130 on the bay last I checked.

I personally really like the speakers...

19. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    I got $75 for mine in pretty much mint condition. Did you recently buy the Dietz cab on Craigs'?

20. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    My opinion based on owning both an EVM15L and a Kappalite 3015:

The 3015 goes MUCH lower and will take much more of a beating down low. An interesting thing people don't often realize is that the 3015 is not voiced with as much bottom beef as most 15s wind up being in standard bass cabinets. It has a very smooth low end roll off with almost no upper bass bump in any reasonable sized cab and tuning situation.

So if you want it to sound authoritative in the bass/midbass, you need to boost it.

Similarly, it has a snarly bit of distortion up on the top end of its range that needs to be eq'd out for an old school tone.

My opinion is that the best ways to achieve this are a lowish crossover to a horn or midrange driver, the VLE knob on a Markbass head, OR the tone knob on a bass. EQ can certainly achieve it, but many heads simply cannot effectively cut in the right way to thicken the tone up without deadening it.

Anyway, I think having owned them both you can easily get the tones of the 15L out of a 3015 if you are well educated about tone shaping. That said, I actually do not mind the snarly upper mids of the 3015 - they are not really that bad and the speaker sounds OK flat to my ears.