1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Expensive vs inexpensive basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TKnights, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Exxi3

Exxi3 Guest

Feb 22, 2011
    And yet nice-gear-shaming still happens all the time, even here...
    Is it as bad as fat-shaming or bald-shaming?
    I'd say no, but still... :roflmao:
    Cheers.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  2. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I hate to break it to the good and decent people of TB, but I don't give a rat's furry behind what you spent on a bass. Your wealth doesn't impress me if you spent $10,000, and your 'smarts' don't impress me if you spent $100. Get what you like and can afford. then just play the thing.

3. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    Probably meant "skwyer" ;)

4. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Maybe, because it's expected of them to be super fantastic? If you get a $5000 bass and you are not super impressed with it, you complain. If you get a $100 bass and it's better than you expected for a price, you'll praise it. It's just how things work everywhere. It's easier to be impressed by cheap stuff not feeling or sounding cheap than it is to be impressed by something you'd normally expect.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    bonruiz and Bassbubble11 like this.
  5. well when I bought my Squire Modified jazz (in my thumbnail photo) I tried a few basses... I didn't like the feel of the Warwick basses and I tried a musicman sterling Sub 4? and thought it sounded too 'tinny', also tried an ESP bass, but thought the squire sounded the best and it's super easy to play

6. MarkEO

MarkEO

Jun 16, 2017
    Australia
    The price is only a small part of the equation for me. I play for 4-6 hours some times and I have to be comfortable with the ergonomics, action, neck shape etc. Sound is very important. No point in any bass if it sounds like crap. It helps if it looks nice. Even if it costs $200 nobody is going to play the Fender Wart. I planned to spend about $1,000 but payed $1,500 cause I picked up the Ray 35 and it just felt right. And as a result it sounds better and I play better.

Element Zero likes this.
  7. jaynov26

jaynov26

Mar 1, 2006
    No, I meant Fender Squire, LOL. My Chris Squire is a 1974 Rickenbacker 4001 with a Badass bridge and active electronics. Major Brut. It shreds my Alembics.

8. Yup.... but mostly when the analogies are good and make sense. :roflmao:

Exxi3 likes this.
  9. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I’ve never see it, especially on TB.

GregC and Element Zero like this.
  10. I'm glad you're happy. I regularly play basses ranging from two to eleven grand. They're all Warwick, so they feel similar, but each one has a different tone, influenced by the woods, construction and electronics. For rock I prefer the tone and looks of the least expensive (bubinga Corvette), but for jazz I prefer the most expensive (maple Infinity). Price isn't the influence.

Berniez40 likes this.
  11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Actually if I spent $5,000 on a bass and you weren’t super impressed I wouldn’t care.

12. RickJones

RickJones

Aug 30, 2017
    I've had people laugh at my inexpensive instruments. It didn't bother me at all. Then I started playing and the laughing stopped.

hushnel likes this.
  13. I've had people admire my nice instruments. It didn't bother me at all. Then I started playing and the laughter began.

14. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    It does? I’ve never seen anyone shame anyone for having inexpensive gear. All I’ve ever seen is people saying how much expensive gear is a waste of money.

15. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I've been blessed to have basses made by Alembic, Ken Smith, Peavey (USA Cirrus) and Warwick, all very high-quality basses. I currently own a Cort Artisan A5 Custom Z, an Ibanez SR506, a Sire Marcus Miller V7 5 and a Sterling by MusicMan Ray 35, all high-quality basses. The Ken Smith was the best bass that I have ever played. However, for the money spent, my current bass lineup is absolutely amazing and I don't foresee getting a high-end bass again. If you have the money to get a high-end bass, that's cool. However, the quality of lesser priced basses is such that you can be very satisfied like I am and save a whole lot of $$$!

Element Zero likes this.
  16. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Well said sir or madame.

bonruiz likes this.
  17. Exxi3

Exxi3 Guest

Feb 22, 2011
    That's what I meant to say, actually :roflmao:
    I don't know if they're really sincere or just a bit jealous, though...

Element Zero likes this.
  18. mihayloff

mihayloff

Aug 10, 2010
    Nice try. Not a made up story. If I hadn't followed instructions, Alembic would have figured that out at the factory and wouldn't have had to take the extreme measures it did in order to make the neck functional again.

19. Tigerclaw_x

Tigerclaw_x

Apr 25, 2016
    I can ONLY list my own opinion. I had very negative experience with Ibanes Sr500E bass. The damned thing sounded like keyboard. Frankly to me the Jackson JS2 and EPiphone Thunderbird sounded MUCH better.

20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I'm referring to the part about them tell you to turn the truss rod nuts the wrong way to correct for back-bow.

MD Stingray likes this.