1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

experiences with Behringer V-amp Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by MichaelSC, Apr 6, 2006.

1. I'm wondering a lot about my future investments in amplification.

I play DB and EB and need a versatile amp that I'll be able to use with both my basses. I know, I'm supposed to search and find the answers for my questions, but there does not seem to be a decent answer to my specific question, so here goes.

Do any of you have any experiences with the Behringer Bass V-amp Pro as pre-amp and DI-box with your DB (and maybe EB too)? In that case, what did you think about it and would you recommend it? I mainly play jazz, pop and then classical but that's without amplification though (naturally;))

Edit: Just to make sure. I do need a power-amp in order to plug the out from the V-amp into a cab, right?

2. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    i suspect the v-amp has not the high-impedance input that is required to get a decent sound out of DB pickups. you want 1megOhm at least, the more the better.

the behringer ADI21 fits that requirement. it has a nice EQ onboard, too.

3. Okay - actually it's impedance is exactly 1Mohm but since you say that the more the better I don't really know what to do. For when shifting between DB and EB, the V-amp and its rich modification possabilities comes in handy. But in your opinion, 1Mohm would not be satisfying, or?

4. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    1 meg should be good. My old T.C. Dual Para EQ is rated at 1meg, and it really works well. I also have other pre amps ranging from 3-20meg inputs that work well also. (Demeter, Raven, Aguilar, blah blah blah) They all sound different, even when rated with identical input impedences. I thought that the Avalon wasn't so great when I used it. But other people love that one, so..... but of my favorites is the input on an old Peavy P.A. 600 head. It really depends in how it FEELS and SOUNDS to YOU with the music you are playing... Anyway, that's what my amp tech told me when I was fussing over the theory of input impedences. And after adjusting and reviewing my perspective, I had to agree with him.

I'd be interested to hear how the V Amp works for upright bass. The price and features looks real good on that one.

5. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Wiser individuals on this site like Bob Gollhur and Rick Jones of
    Acoustic Image have stated that it's probably not necessary to have a 10 meg ohm input on the amplifier with most of the newer pickups unless you are using a Fishman BP-100, That particular pickup seems to really need the 10 meg input.

Ric Vice

6. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Yes, right, you will need a power amp if you want to use the V-amp as a pre-amp for your bass. Maybe a powered montior speaker, such as a Mackie , JBL, or Yamaha, would work well with this type of set up. .

And as Ric Vice has already said, there is a wealth of info already here to explore if you are looking for info on building up a nice bass rig.

7. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    if you already have a decent BG setup, you could plug into the input with your BG as always and feed the DB preamp (ADI21, V-Amp) into the effects return. you would bypass the voiced preamp stage that way, which can be a good thing for DB.

8. Can't I also just plug both my BG and my and my DB into the V-amp (maybe via an A/B switch) - and work my way completely around the preamp in the amp?

9. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    I'm not an amp expert, but plugging into the effects RETURN should route your bass signal around the pre-amp. That's how it works on the Walter Woods amp I'm using now.

edit: And speaking of A/B boxes, the ones made by "LOOOPER" are very fine (and affordable) indeed! "loooper.com" , I believe.

10. Okay - that's cool. Sounds good.

There is only one problem - the finances. I'm (practically) broke now, at the beginning of the month and I have a fairly low income, since I still study and don't have much time for work, so the fun stuff will have to wait a month or maybe 2 :(

11. Maybe I'm just beinge stupid, but do I need a power amp, if i plug into a powered monitor speaker?

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I haven't tried the V-amp pro, it's not for me, but looks interesting. It probably works best with a slab bass.

If you're a student, or have one in the house, Behringer has an educational discount. around $140.

If you plug into a powered speaker you don't need a power amp.
    For most modeling, you have better luck if you use a full range speaker.