1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Extension by Robbie McIntosh...

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by BGreaney, Apr 13, 2006.

1. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    So, I'm in search of some pics of an extension by Robbie McIntosh. My teacher has an extension done by him on his Panormo and as he describes it, "It has little leather fret thingies on each of the notes." I think it has a gate on the D and E, but I'm curious about the "leather fret thingies." If my conception of the design is right, does pushing the string against leather as opposed to the ebony have a substantial effect on the sound?

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Most levers I've come across have leather or similar material between the string and the lever. Robbie's work is top notch, btw.

3. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    Yea that's what I have now, but my understanding is that the leather piece is retrofitted into or on top of the ebony, or it's somehow incorporated into the construction of it so that if you play a D w/ out the lever down, your finger would be pressing down on the leather rather than ebony... Do I have the wrong image in my head?

4. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    I have heard of that...but I have only heard of that on an E flipper.....I wonder how that would sound though...as compared to fingering on the ebony

5. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Brian-
    I talked to Robbie yesterday about that among other things and it is simpler than I thought. It is just a very thin strip of leather glued to the board in order to facilitate the 'feeling" of the intonation. Shouldn't affect the tone although I would worry about it buzzing at low action. Easy to do, and undo.

6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    oh... I'm seeing it now...

effect on sound? Eb, D, Db, C, B... I'm sure an elephant would notice the difference.

7. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    Ah, gotcha. Well, I don't know if you noticed, but my extension already sounds like a dying cricket, yet for some reason it just won't die already and stop making noise, so, I feel like anything done to it could possibly be an improvement. It's strange...I felt some sort of satisfaction knowing that the source of all my bass problems have originated on one shop, and I was comfortable with that. I'm not used to the idea of my bass working the way it's supposed to. Damn you Jeff and your ability to make my problems go away!

p.s.- I see you've met another one of my friends

8. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    what i meant was i wonder how fingering down onto a piece of leather would affect the sound....perhaps ....maybe it would be slightly muted? (as opposed to closing the string against the ebony

9. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Yeah, thanks for the reference Brian. He's bringing in a Martin bass-looking forward to that, I like those basses.

10. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York

I hear that they have great tailpieces also.

They sure do have a monster low end.

11. Peter Mach also puts leather frets on the board of his extentions, I installed one on a clients bass about 5 months ago. He loves it and the leather hasnt buzzed. Only thing I didnt like was that it came with a finish on it, I would have liked to have had it match the bass better...