1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

F Bass BN5 Refinished

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ptidwell, Apr 14, 2006.

1. ptidwell

ptidwell Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Well I had my F Bass refinished because the nitros was wearing off (especially on the pickups) and i couldn't find any here in So. Cal who will shoot nitroscellous apparently from the feedback I got nitros is illegal in CA. So i had talked to George and it was way to expensive to ship it to Canada to paint, so I began my search for a quality finisher an eight miles away in IMO the best refinisher in the country in Pat Wilkins (does all the Sadowsky's (USA) Man this thing is georgeous. I fell like I got a new bass all over again, he also did a fantastic setup job on it too. The action is much lower and fast. Anyway here are some before and after shoots. BTW he shot this in with poly.

Before:Teal
    After: Natural

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. dragonbass

dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    ........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder..........................................................
    He did a very nice job on the F.

Question for you....Do you notice any tone difference since this is now finished in Poly?

Some say it's a big difference.

Rob

3. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Awesome finish! It looks great natural. I looked at the pic's before I read your post and thought that it was pic's of two different basses!

The finish he put on should be much more durable than the std. Fbass finish. That's one of the few cons that I had with my Fbass.

4. ptidwell

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    dragonbass,
    I was without the bass for about five weeks, and at first I said it sounds really different, but during that time I bought an DB750 that attributed to the change in sound I run the amp flat and let the pre do the work. From a setting standpoint I dial in my standard configuration and my tone is right there.
    So I don't naotice a definable difference in the tone.
    Pat told me that there was a lot of paint on the bass, and that it was a chore to strip it down, also he said that it didn't have the same smell as other nitros bodies he has stripped (this was his first refinish of an F Bass) indicating that there was a lot of water in the base.

5. ptidwell

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Joe
    +1 that was my con as well.
    This finish will hold up I am sure.

6. Schwaa

Schwaa

Feb 25, 2006
    Looks great both way IMO. But I do like that natural, very classy. How much did the refinish run ya?

7. Very nice!

8. ptidwell

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    It was $495.00 which include the tear down and the setup.
    It would have been about $800.00 if I had sent it to George just to refinish the pickups.

9. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    WOW does that bass look nice! the origional color was ok, but the natural finish is just awesome!

10. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Hey, that looks great. The price seems reasonable for all the work as well.

11. mrphattay

mrphattay Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Congratulations. The Bass looks spectacular.
    George always seems to have Wood w. fabulous figuring, whether it's tinted or natural. In your Bass' case, I believe the look is enhanced by going natural. A stunning choice; play it proudly.

12. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound Endorsing Artist: La Bella Strings
    Congrats! Really nice refinish work! It look two different basses to me! :eek:

13. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Round of applause for the natural!

14. Looks way better natural, imo. And like you said, looks like a brand new bass!!!

Looks like you got some exposed core strings too. How are you liking them?

15. no F'in way??!!!!

how could you? Aw well its not mine anymore anyway. lol

--S

16. ptidwell

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Sounds like you don't like it?
    I was hoping you would though.
    Does that mean that you would never buy her back if I were ever to sell?

17. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Does the color and nitro. have to be stripped off in order to refin. with poly.? My pickups got a little scratched up and my F is less than a year old. I've since lowered them to prevent further wear. Your bass looks great! I wish Pat was closer to GA!

18. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    Usually a refinish lowers the value of an instrument but I believe in this case you just uped the value! That Natural looks great!

19. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    Just take the neck off and ship it, maybe $20 shipping?

20. ptidwell

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Dave,

My originally plan was to do just the pickups, but since he had to take the pickups out to access the covers, and yes, strip and sand the down to paint with poly. That was about $175, so I asked how much for the whole bass, and here it is finished. If you want to check out Pat's work here is his URL http://www.wilkinsguitars.com/contact.html