1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Facebook videos vs. YouTube

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rockin Mike, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    A lot of bands I know put videos on YouTube and link them to their Facebook page. This seems like an extra step when one could upload the videos straight to Facebook.

I can see an advantage in hosting our videos on Facebook; they're surrounded by all our other information including booking info & gig calendar. Also the viewer is not led away by unrelated vids on the side of the page.

Are there advantages to having the video on YouTube in addition to (or instead of) Facebook?

2. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    Youtube reaches a extremely wider viewer base. Facebook has no video search engine. Facebook has no browse video feature. Facebook has no related video feature. These are all missed opportunities for you video to be seen.

Videos are treated like photos on facebook. The only way to see them is if the poster is in your feed, it is shared/liked/commented by someone in your feed, or you are linked by directly to the video.

I posted the same video to my facebook and youtube page. On facebook the video got 22 likes, 9 comments, 3 shares. On youtube 87 likes, 39 comments, 4 shares, and 9 added subscriptions.

There's no reason to miss out on youtube traffic when it's so easy to post youtube video to facebook.

3. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    Personally, I don't like facebook. I do not have an account and I do not like to link to the pages. On the other hand I like to browse youtube. I would be much more likely to check out a band on youtube and then go to facebook to find out more about them if that was the only way to get more info.

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Facebook videos don't seem to be of as high quality as YouTube. That has been my experience.

5. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    A ton of other services can automatically grab, index, and present your YouTube videos. Facebook, on the other hand, is a one-way sinkhole. Your choice, but the world is a lot bigger than Facebook. Better to use YouTube as a server and funnel video content wherever you want it to go.

6. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Good points, all.

I hate facebook personally, and I know that's a strong word, but it seems to be a primary way bands network in my neck of the woods.

I think I will start hosting vids primarily on YT and share them over to FB or whatever.

Thanks for the big brains, TBers!

7. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    So I'm looking at how to do this, I have a YouTube channel set up and a couple of videos on there, but when I try to Share them to FaceBook I can only see how to share them on my personal page.

Is there a way to share YouTube videos directly to my FaceBook band page?

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

There are still people who do not (and will not ever) use Facebook. If I don't sign up to win free basses I am not about to sign up to watch videos of a local band. Youtube works for everybody.

9. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    I hear ya man, I was late joining the FB bandwagon and I still regard it as a necessary evil. It seems to be the place where friends and fans hang out, though, so we have to support it.

I'm just trying to avoid having to upload the same video multiple times.
    I can upload to YouTube and share over to my personal FB page, but not the band page.
    Anybody know how to do that?

10. Our band has both a FB and You Tube account in addition to our official webpage we use all 3 because we have been asked for one or the other by club owners whatever tools necessary to get you the gig.

11. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    We don't have an official webpage yet, maybe we should set something up on wix or reverbnation or bandcamp or somesuch.

How do you handle posting the same video in separate places? Do you post it 3 times or do you post to one site and link to it from the others?

12. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Just post the youtube link on your band's FB status/wall.

13. I use Reverb Nation and it integrates with Facebook. I upload pics, videos and recordings to Reverb Nation and it appears on FB.

14. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Analytics. YouTube has them and facebook doesn't. The advantage to fb vids is tagging ppl, but that's about it. YT all the way.

15. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    facebook constantly changes the html link to stuff, so when you post a link to the video, everybody who doesn't check it out pretty quickly won't be able to see it later