1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fairfield Circuitry - THE CLUB

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by liveburning274, May 5, 2013.

1. This is why TB rules!
    J!
    P.S. I don’t even have my Model B anymore, but I remembered I had an email from the owner with a how too when I was in the same predicament.

cavemanbass likes this.
  2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    So there is no mini dip switch in there?
    What if one loses that little jumper...how ever unlikely this may be ?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  3. Shadowkast

Shadowkast

Aug 20, 2016
    The Dreadfort
    I have the following Fairfield pedals

• Randy's Revenge
    • Meet Maude
    • Four Eyes
    • Unpleasant Surprise
    They all have unique tones that I don't hear everywhere else, and pair well with a variety of sound sources. And although I'm a sucker for a pedal with killer aesthetics, I also I appreciate that this builder devotes resources to what's inside the enclosure.

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I like their looks!

acleex38, Stevorebob and Shadowkast like this.
  5. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hi there, question for The Club, go easy me! I've been playing bass a long time, but only just now putting together my first pedalboard. I've heard nothing but good things about Fairfield Circuitry, but which to try first? I've narrowed it down to the Accountant or Model B. My understanding is, there is some overlap in function between these pedals, because the Accountant can provide some overdrive by way of the Pad control, and the Model B can achieve some tube-y compression by way of the Sag setting. Which of those two choices is the more enticing introduction for a FC newbie in search of always-on, warm, rich, chewy tone magic?

My other pedals on the board are a Polytune, MXR M81 preamp/DI, Foxpedal Killface (Klon clone), and Broughton HPF. Also I am borrowing a Cali76 CB (but I have to give it back eventually). I'm playing a P Bass with flats through a Quilter head and 2x15 cabinets, mostly blues and classic rock.

6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I’ve owned both at the same time and the Barbershop rendered the Accountant redundant for my needs. To me, the Acct wasn’t so great as a utility comp, nor was it amazing as an OD...it’s kind of it’s own thing. I could see using it as an all in one type deal if I wasn’t so particular about what I wanted out of a compressor. I could never use the Acct as an always on, but in fact do use the BS always on and have since I first got one. That said, they both seem to operate at extreme ends of two very different goals. For the “magic tone in a box” thing, it’s hard to beat the Barbershop, IMO.

johnk_10, Frodolicious and Mushroo like this.
  7. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.

Let's say I choose the Barbershop Modele B, how would I put it in the signal chain with my Cali76? Which goes first, compressor or overdrive?

8. petrus61

That comes down to personal preference. The only way to know is to try yourself. I like running my comp into my BS, then setting my BS drive and sag to taste, then will use the output gain on my comp to adjust the grit on the BS. I’ve found this gives me a fat, controlled type of mild grit. Running the BS before the comp kind of works in reverse, with more grit readily on tap, yet controlled (typically, IME) by the threshold on whatever comp you’re using. Both react differently depending on the input, but the same results can be achieved either way. It just comes down to how you like to control it all. All IMO, IME, etc.

Mushroo likes this.
  9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The Barbershop is very touch sensitive. I always run it first or at least before compression.

petrus61 and Mushroo like this.
  10. petrus61

True. The great part about the Barbershop is that it seems to do what it does without overly compressing on its own, which makes it very easy to experiment with placement when dealing with a compressor. Your post just made me want to try it ahead of my comp again. It’s been a while!

Dave W and Mushroo like this.
  11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    And that's really the right answer, experiment and see how you like it best!

Jeff O'Connor and petrus61 like this.
  12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    if i'm using compression, i run my barbershop before it, but i usually use the barbershop by itself.

Mushroo likes this.
  13. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    If I understand correctly, you are saying, between the subtle compression of the Barbershop, plus the built-in limiter of my Quilter head, I might find myself not even needing a dedicated compressor on my board?

14. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yep. whenever you use an OD/distortion pedal, there's already going to be a fair amount of compression.

Jeff O'Connor, NKBassman and Mushroo like this.
  15. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thank you all for the kind advice. I just ordered a used Modele B and will soon be joining the club! :)

NKBassman likes this.
  16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I don't think the Acct is redundant when the BS is also on the board and like each for the different flavours they impart. When using both, the BS mostly sits before the Acct.
    I'd try the 4 eyes too though as it is very versatile and flexible as well as rather touch sensitive.
    Great pedal!

17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Question for all Shallow water users:
    How do you set yours for maximum Envelope controlled LPG?

Thanks!

18. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm loving the Modele B so far. My first impression is that, I love the way it enhances double stops and chords. Very musical. Thanks to all for the recommendation! :)

19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    favourite settings?

20. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I haven't found a bad setting yet. I thought "all knobs halfway" had a nice sound to it. I'll have to wait until I hear it in the mix with a band before I pass final judgment.