1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fairfield Circuitry - THE CLUB

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by liveburning274, May 5, 2013.

1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Fair enough!

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Last night I got a chance to try the Modèle B in a blues/rock jam. It was a trio with guitar and drums. My signal chain was: P bass with flats -> Broughton HPF -> Fairfield Modéle B -> Quilter 101 Mini -> old Peavey 410 cabinet. I started the night with my compressor (Cali76) but decided I preferred the sound without it.

Once again, I couldn't find a single bad tone with the Fairfield. Even the most "extreme" knob settings were musically useful, in my opinion. By the end of the night, I was using this setting: maximum Volume, just a little bit of Gain, and just a little bit of Sag. It was pushing hard on the input of the Quilter (which was on the 'jazz' setting with the Gain at 4), resulting in a beautifully warm, rich, and organic tone.

For a relatively modest price, and a tiny bit of pedalboard real estate, the Modèle B is a winner!

Dave W and NKBassman like this.
  3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It's a great pedal! Still one of my all time favorites.

Mushroo likes this.
  4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    To all that use or have owned more than one barbershop: Do all your BS pedals sound the same(have sounded the same if you have heard more than one)?

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    For the most part. I've got two ME's and a v1.

The v1 has a little less gain and no switch. Both ME's sound the same. I have SN 017 on one of them, which in my mind sounds better than the other one...but that's all in my mind.

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    SN 017...as in serial number?

And one mone question:
    Should the Barbershop break up at minimum settings?( Drive all the way counterclockwise. Sag all the way clockwise and volume at unity with the toggle in the middle, running from a regular 1spot, with a passive single coil P bass going into it, no effects before or after)?
    :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yes.

I'd say no. It barely breaks up with gain at 2:00

Do you have one that is? Are you thinking there is something wrong with it?

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I need to investigate a little before any assessment but yes, I do seem to get some break up at the settings I described above.
    I had one before which behaved very differently - seemed to have some issues. When it worked, it behaved more like you describe.
    It ad a SN below 200. My current one is above 2000...

9. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    @cnltb, @Dave W, My experience was different from both of yours. I wasn't getting breakup at minimum drive settings (with Sag maxed), but I was def getting breakup before 2:00.

Obviously depends a lot on how hot the incoming signal is.

Dave W likes this.
  10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I guess 2:00 is a little high, it's probably closer to 12:00-1:00 where I can easily keep it clean with lighter playing, then get some grit when I dig in.

axwell26medison and NKBassman like this.
  11. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    It's been a year or two since I had a Barbershop to play with, but that sounds a little more realistic to my experience. I think I usually had mine at about 10:00-12:00 for subtle grit, but I also tend to hit my strings pretty hard.

12. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    I think I used to keep mine at 1:00, but I used it as a mild OD/Comp with tame comp setting (1-2 on the switches I think).

13. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Wait, are we talking about the Barbershop, or Accountant?

14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Barbershop

Question :
    Can you guys set your Barbershops to a setting where you get NO breakup when playing quite hard?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    NKBassman likes this.
  15. speedball3

speedball3

Nov 13, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    None
    As other question to add to the discussion: anybody running both a barbershop/Modele B with a 5th gear? Are they redundant or complimentary?

16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I've also just had a look inside my new BS and the board is white, as opposed to the green in my previous one...some parts also have different colours.