1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Famous blues bassists?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Koncept17, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Koncept17

Koncept17

Dec 26, 2007
    I've got to learn a great blues bass line for an upcoming audition. The problem is, I barely know any blues bassists nor which of their song I could learn. So if you know any, I would appreciate if you shared.

Thanks for helping me out. :smug:

2. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    Willie Dixon
    Tommy Shannon (w/Johnny Winter and Stevie Ray Vaughn)
    Jack Bruce

Just a few of my favorites.

~John

3. Mr. Soul

Mr. Soul

Jan 31, 2007
    I play in a blues band.

My hero is Tommy Shannon, he played with both Johnny Winter and Stevie, I'm huge fan of what he did With Vaughn.

Also Donald "Duck" Dunn, with Booker T and the MG's

4. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    Check out Robben Ford's and Eric Johnson's bassist Roscoe Beck. He even has a couple of instructional DVDs. Greg Rezab (I think that's how its spelled) who did a lot of work with Buddy Guy is another good one.

5. rummy

rummy

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    Pino Palladino

6. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    Yeah, Roscoe's a great player. Three weeks ago we played the Continental Club in Austin (me with Shelli Coe, Roscoe with Rosie Flores) and his playing blew me away. Nice guy, too.

~John

7. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Edorsing Artist: Eden
    How about Johnny B Gayden? Did most of the studio work for bunches of Alligator Records artists including Albert Collins and Son Seals. He is pictured here with myself and Lane Baldwin, special projects coordinator for Eden.

SamAsh024.

Certainly Tommy Shannon and Duck Dunn and Willie Dixon are all great to learn from, but Gayden's work is very accessible while also very true to the real blues itself.

8. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    +1. Gayden's playing just kills. His tone and feel are the perfect blend of old school and modern approaches to blues bass

9. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Can't stress how important Willie Dixon is/was.

Other folks off the top of my head that I have enjoyed hearing play the blues that haven't been mentioned yet: Willie Weeks, Nathan East and Ronnie James Weber and Randy Bermudes (both played with The Fabulous Thunderbirds).

A big +1 to all the ones mentioned so far:
    Donald 'Duck' Dunn
    Tommy Shannon
    Jack Bruce
    Pino Palladino
    Roscoe Beck
    Johnny B. Gayden

10. Koncept17

Koncept17

Dec 26, 2007
    What about bass lines? I'm a little lost with all those players to chose from :p

11. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Matt Goldman has to be the MOST famous.

No, wait, you said BLUES bassist...:eek:

12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Get the Ed Friedland Blues Bass book and you'll be able to learn from that. It doesn't replace listening to the great bassists but it'll show you various styles and grooves.

13. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing... Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    +1 on Tommy Shannon.

All the Stevie Ray stuff is must-learn. Just be careful -- they tuned down to E flat a lot!

Duck Dunn also does really cool R&B lines that translate well on straight blues gigs.

Good luck!

14. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Well there are a lot of different kinds of blues lines ...

Start with a straight shuffle, and for that you might want to listen to Tommy Shannon on the SRV tune "Pride and Joy"

Slow blues try Bobby Bland on Stormy Monday

15. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    When you have to play blues for 4 sets a night, you'd better get beyond lines, or you'll put yourself to sleep. The beauty of blues is that it's so simple even a beginner can go and jam with other musicians and know what to expect. But in its simplicity you have to figure out what to do to make it sound a little different for this shuffle as opposed to the last one, and this slow blues in A sound just a hair different than the one you just played a couple of minutes ago.

16. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Put on a blues CD, one that sounds like you want to sound and start playing.

17. Listen to Tommy Shannon with SRV or Jhn Winter. If you can play like that you should get the gig. For a more basic approach that will work, listen to older ZZ Topp.

18. come on Steve Swallow

19. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    my favorite blues bassist of all time in the universe.
    JackCasady69.

Datsgor likes this.
  20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    For upright.
    Willie Dixon
    Ransom Knowling
    Larry Taylor
    Big Crawford
    Ronnie james