1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fantom X: Can it be used as midi controler or just interface?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by groovejam, Jun 27, 2007.

1. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    Roland claims you can use it as a usb-midi interface, but can you use it as a controler to play soft-synths...

2. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    if it's got a MIDI out, then absolutely you can use it as a MIDI controller. if you can use as a USB-MIDI interface, I'd assume there's a USB cable going out of it? In that case plug it in and test it with your recording/ MIDI synth software like cubase, sonar, etc...

If it doesn't work the first time check with configurations to see if it registers as a MIDI in option and if not you may need to buy a MIDI-USB adaptor, they run around 40 bucks. I've got one but don't use it since I got this baby:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010-main.html

3. Jim Roseberry

Jim Roseberry

May 24, 2007

Absolutely...

Jim Roseberry
    www.studiocat.com
    jim@studiocat.com

4. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    what does the "..." is that a definitve yes?

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It will work as a midi controller - and control software synths. I can't think of a keyboard today that won't do this.

It'll do midi via USB which is also common today.

In addition, it also has an 8-track audio recorder, and will sync to midi. You're keyboard parts can be midi and you can record vocals, guitar at the same time. Only 2 inputs at a time, but 8-tracks. And you have to record to sample ram (up to 512mb) then download this to the PC. It doesn't send live audio down the USB, but will let you download from sample ram to the PC.

These are really just extras on the side. It's an incredibly fantastic keyboard sampler. One of the most realistic feeling to a real piano. Fantastic sounds. Checkout http://www.fantomized.info/

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021