Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Faster..faster...FASTER

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Masamax, Nov 10, 2003.

1. So I have been hard at work trying to break the 64 notes in a bar/8 notes a second mark and I am almost there! I will try again tommorow and I am confident I can break it!

Anyone else trying to break this!

(sorry for bad sound quality btw!)

http://www.members.shaw.ca/masamaxproxy/bassfast.mp3

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    that's pretty fast...sounds like you are using a pick?

or 3 fingers maybe?

care to clue me in?

3. Two fingers. Playing over the G string with a total curve of movement of less then an inch (meaning I don't follow through or pluck hard, I am mostly just brushing through the string with my finger).

I don't think it is possible to play 480 beats a minute with a pick simply because in the best situation that means you have to go up then down 4 times a second. I might barely get to that mark with two fingers, let along my entire wrist.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    could be...but I have heard some ridiculously fast picking before.

My top speed is quarter notes at 600 BPM, doing permutations, started slowly, and built up speed.

that's the only way to do it.

5. I have no choice but to defeat you.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This is silly.

Niether one of you is going to get a gig this way.

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
  8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
  9. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
  10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This was neither very fast nor very precise.

Do yourself a favour and practice more slowly, this will actually inmprove your speed, time and tone.

11. [​IMG]
    Treena

12. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I didnt notice that mp3 to start with.

Yeah precision is definitley a problem there... and it's not exactly fast either, which is a shame because it means neither goal was achieved! :D

Sorry I'm unable to make this point using geeky html tricks ;)

13. I can play with precision slow. I am working on my finger speed for this mainly for fret work not for speed. If I just wanted to play fast I would play a single note. The reason I want to be able to play as fast as I do on the mp3 is so I can learn to quickly transfer from fret to fret while remaining in timing.

EDIT: For example, this line that I am using in a song with my band requires me to fret fairly fast, and when I practice playing and fretting fast it allows me to play lines like this easier:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/masamaxproxy/bassfastreason.mp3

I have only been playing for little more then a year so playing things this fast and remaining in timing is still difficult esspecially changing strings.

14. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I don't think anything is wrong with !practice! like this. Although I think you'd be better served practicing scales or arpeggios there's nothing wrong with pushing your limits of speed. Along with precision I think you should really focus on tone. In the unlikely situation that you would need to play that fast in a band situation I don't imagine that it would cut through very well. Good work though

15. lol, the problem is you can't dig in. I know some players who play that light. If I ever played that fast on stage (unlikely unless it was a bass solo for my ego only) I'd have to boost my volume into the mix.

16. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I finally listened to the mp3. I can easily play that fast, and yet have never considered it. I've never practiced speed, nor altered my technique to try to play a part faster. Practice slower, Grasshopper.

17. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I've never practiced speed either but everyone learns differently. I know a lot of violinists that have to have a systematic approach to every nuance of their playing to get any better. Kinda weird if you ask me. But yeah, practice slower it sounds like you're playing a little faster than you're comfortable with. Practicing slower will help you keep a consistent full tone.

18. BassAche

BassAche

May 1, 2003
    Calgary
    Playing fast, eh?
    I prefer to not play like slop. If your goal is to have flawless technique at high speeds, then I respect that. Don't leave out the low end while you're at it.

Anyways...An awesome exercise:

Know 'the spider?' Pick up the John Pattitucci instructional tape. If you are too lazy (or lack of funds) here it is:

Using economy fretting (one finger per fret):
    G|---3---4---1---2---
    D|-1---2---3---4-----
    A|-------------------
    E|-------------------
    These are finger markings...Start off doing them higher up the neck (7th position,) until your comfortable with it.
    Keep your fingers as close to the fretboard as possible. Minimize movement. The goal here is to produce a clear, precise tone, as effectively as possible. Also, keep your fingers arched. Remember a long time ago when you were taught how exactly how to play? Do that.
    Start with quarters at 60 bpm. When you are comfortable. Bump it up ever so slowly. You might find you drop a bit each day, but don't sweat it. This is also an awesome warm-up exercise. You can play around with the pattern too (moving up and down strings or the neck, etc,) which will help moving and thinking whilst you play. If you want, you can start doing octaves across strings.

Did I miss anything?

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Good post Bassache.

that's the real trick, you have to play slowly before you can play quickly

Speed shouldn't be your goal, but rather a bi-product of good technique and solid practicing routine.

it can be fun to play fast, but equally fun to play slowly. I like to challenge myself speed-wise sometimes, but generally I don't worry about it much.

It's kind of like Slap, it's a fun technique, that can be useful, but certainly not likely to get you a steady gig If you are totally slap-happy.

20. jdub2

jdub2

Jul 30, 2003
    I can play 64th notes at 180 bpm. Well, I can play one of them, at least! :D

I think precision and tone is generally more important than speed. But then I'm more of a groove player that doesn't play too fast!