1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite all tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bouncin'bak, Mar 5, 2010.

1. bouncin'bak

bouncin'bak

Oct 23, 2006
    Ahoy there! I've been a stealth ninja on this forum for years as I slowly gathered funds moving up in the bass playing world.

Now days, I'm rocking a Landing bass with Dark star pickups to give me a tone like the bells of Notre Dame.

my amplification is seriously lacking!
    what tube amps would you reccommend for that sexy smooth as a liberty bell tone without cracking my bank account?
    :bag:puns:bag:

I've heard wonderful things about the SVT series, and have personal experience falling in love with mesa products, but most of their all tube amplification has been discontinued to do their sexy hybrid work.

anyone have experience with Orange??? I've always liked their company from a distance :D Do they have a good tone or wut folks?

Anyways, I look forward to hearing whats up.
    Thanks TB-- JP:ninja:

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have two favorites.

a Sunn 2000s (discontinued in the early to mid 70's)
    a vintage SVT (or a new VR)

3. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I play and own a mesa400+. You could probably look for one used at about 900 to 1200. Great amp. I've played fender bassmans but they sound thin in my opinion.

4. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Get a 70's SVT Or a Rackmount SVT II (late 80's early 90's) which is basically the same thing with the added option of a graphic EQ as well. Think of it just like the Mesa 400+ only Ampeg.
    Or just buy a Mesa 400+ . The Orange amps are awsome too but they are their own flavor.
    I just got a SVT II a few days ago after not owning an AMpeg for 8 years. Owned Mesa in that entire time. Unless I get an endorsement in the coming year or two I will be playing ampeg from here on out. Theres a reason they have been a staple since the 60's. :cool:

You also cant go wrong with the vintage sunn stuff depending on your style of music.

5. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I've liked every tube amp I've played. The one I have is a Mesa/Boogie D-180, which is cool cause you can get it to sound really nasty at low volumes, or have it sound super-clean.

My friend's got an Ampeg SVT-Cl and Ampeg's reputation for a powerful sound is deserved. That amp really thunders.

6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I had an 80s SVT that sounded better than every other amp I've owned by a large margin. The EMG equipped P bass and two dual 15 vintage Ampeg cabs with JBLs didn't hurt either.

7. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    I love my Orange AD200B. it gives me an awesome punchy tone and it can get nice and gritty if you want it to. some people say its always gritty but i have never had that problem with my stingray.

my vote definitely goes for the Orange AD200B.

8. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

How many watts was the Sunn 2000s?

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the earlier tube rectified ones were rated at 120 watts and i believe that the later SS rectifed ones ('71 like mine) at 140w, but both of them feel more like 200-250 easily. it feels louder/more powerful than my YBA 200-2 and almost as loud as either of my SVT's. i've had a few of both the tube rectified and SS rectified ones, and i prefer the latter. it was also known as the 350B (as in 350 'peak' watts).

10. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I've heard that they're really loud.

11. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    Early 70's Ampeg SVT.

12. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    My experience is limited an this case, given that I have only played the occasional gig/music store tube amp. I haven't really loved SVTs, except for the occasional vintage one (or VR) which stand out a lot. Then I got my Mesa Buster, which is kinda like a D-180 or a 400 (nonplus). It's much more articulate than newer SVTs but with the 15" it can really thump too. Frankly I don't need 300w, the Buster's 180W is plenty.

13. D-180. I've owned two & will probably get another before I die.

14. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Endorsing Artist:
    Vintage SVT, SVT 2 and SVT 2 PRO

15. ducknturtle

ducknturtle

Dec 28, 2006
    New Jersey
    The SVT is the standard by which all of the other tube amps are judged.

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I really like the re-issue V4BH, and B15R alot, as well as my sweet Mesa Buster.

17. BrianBOBO

BrianBOBO

Mar 4, 2010
    SVT 2 PRO. I have also played a MESA 400+. It is worth taking a look at.

18. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Nothing beats the sound of a nice tube bass amp. My favorite? It's a toss-up between these three:

Sadowsky SA-200
    1963 Fender Bassman (yes, I actually use it on bass)
    1969 SVT

The SA-200 is the best all-around - it just sounds so good on everything. The Bassman, though only about 40 watts, is perfect for that old-school sound; I've A/B'd it with old B15's and I prefer the Bassman every time. The SVT is just pure terror.

19. Anything with Mesa/Boogie on it!
    Also digging the Peavey VB-2
    Sunn 2000s as well!

20. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Fender 300 Pro

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020