Favorite Bass Solo(s)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by alexssandro, Jun 19, 2000.

1. Elrend

Elrend

Feb 24, 2008
    Norway
    Any beautifully phrased tasteful solo.

TL;DR, Not Jaco.

2. dponbass

dponbass Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    New England
    One of my favorite bass solos is Tim Bogert's solo in "Breaksong" by Vanilla Fudge. He's all over the place, it isn't your traditional slap happy bass solo but it's fun to listen to. When I was 17, I was going to practice at my drummer's house, his father told me to come into the living room and listen to this bass player and played the track for me. I was from such a different line of bass playing thought, it went straight over my head. I thought it was cool but had no idea why or what the hell I was really listening to. Almost ten years later, I came across the same piece, and listened to it with a new set of ears and just thought it was so incredible.

3. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    victor wooten did a pretty sweet solo on the dave mathews band live in chicago CD. i think the track is called #41

4. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    here it is
    the solo is quite a ways in but its sweet

5. Billy Gould's bass solo on Faith No More's Kindergarten. I like that its a flowing melodic phrase over everything instead of the song stopping for the bass solo.

6. jpfbass

jpfbass

Sep 28, 2009
    Chicago
    Stanley Clarks solo on "Do You Hear The Voices You Left Behind" by John McLaughlin. I loved his tone so much on that song, but the solo was the highlight for sure.

7. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    This one -

Also Geddy on Driven and Leave That Thing Alone from the RIO show...both short but fantastic...

And there are a lot of other artists mentioned here but I also want to add one of Maceo Parkers bassists but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the song or the bassists name...gotta go back and find it...

8. Dirk Lance- psychopsilocybin
    MattFreeman- Maxwell murder

9. 5:15 by The Who (in this live version, the majority is a bass solo)

(and please, no complaints about "he plays like a guitarist")

10. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    Selene - Michael Manring
    Portrait of Tracy - Jaco Pastorious
    Disease, Injury, Madness - Dan Briggs (about 5 minutes in)

11. reverb508

reverb508

Jan 6, 2008
    Viridian by Between the Buried and Me. There's a beautiful solo in there by bassist Dan Briggs.

12. Selene is amazing!:eek:

13. Raven2k360

Raven2k360

May 21, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I'd have to say all-time fave is Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth), but the intro to Infectious Grooves' "Punk It Up" is pretty bad-ass. I'm pretty sure that was Rob Trujillo on that one.

14. I would have to say my favourite bass solo is Victor Wooten's version of 'Amazing Grace'. I also like 'Mr. Pink' by Level 42, which is essentially an extended bass solo, and I just got Jeff Schmidt's album Outré recently and 'Mudita' is a great solo piece.

15. Like this thread! :)

Me too. Matt Freeman -Maxwell Murder

16. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Does anyone else consider the breakdown section in "the Lemon Song" to be a bass solo? I do, and it's definitely one of my favorites. Also Jerry Jemmott has a really great spot on King Curtis's "Instant Groove" that I love.

17. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Louis Johnson; The Bros Johnson - Ain't We Funkin' Now
    Stanley Clarke; Chick Corea - Spain [**Can't believe this one wasn't already posted**]
    Willie Weeks; Donny Hathaway - Everything Is Everything
    Robert Wilson; The Gap Band - Shake

18. Space-Man

Space-Man

Jan 27, 2009
    Cronos of Venom's live solo, you can find it on Youtube.
    :D

19. That way overwatched solo of Cliff Burton where he's using a Rick of some sort and he ends it with some incredibly quick whacking lol.
    Or that Dave Ellefson solo where he's all green....... :p
    Or any Noel Redding run played solo. Try it some time lol power of soul!!! :hyper:

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021