Favorite Bass Solo(s)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by alexssandro, Jun 19, 2000.

1. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    I'll vote Aeroplane and Naked in the Rain by RHCP.
    Aeroplane has an awesomely funky bass solo.

2. i get that alot from my singer :(

3. The whole cd is stellar. Absolutely fantastic! Tal is superb.

However, I like solos that really are put into the song - for instance that one here YouTube - ‪Stephan Eicher - hemmige‬‏
    Too bad we don't see the bass player play the solo. Awesome song however.

4. chaseman

chaseman

Feb 28, 2011
    Weymouth, UK
    I agree with Aeroplane. It's just simple and funky, and fits the song. Wanky solos just don't sound like music to my ears.

5. bunnykeeper

bunnykeeper

May 28, 2011
    Japan
    All 8:46 of New Order's "The Perfect Kiss" is the best bass solo ever.

6. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    My favorite is from George Duke/Billy Cobham "Hip Pockets", Alphonso Johnson doing his thing.

7. Bmosh

Bmosh

Dec 20, 2009
    Post Falls, Idaho
    Jaco in Ian Hunters "All American Alien Boy "

8. zombie. i think we all do

9. This.

YouTube - ‪Spastic Ink-Words for Nerds‬‏

Skip to 1:38 if youre not into the whole technical progressive metal thing ... personally I cant stand most of the song, as the transitions are terrible and the drummer over syncopates everything :scowl: Aside from the drums during the bass solo I believe its quite beautiful. I was surprised to find out that it is actually Michael Manring playing that solo, even though he doesnt play the rest of the song.

10. I try to avoid using phrases like "the Best" because I now feel that the "best" is being played tonite in Atlanta or Chicago buy a young musician earning 75. bucks and a small meal. So heres something I did this week while going through some 33 1/3 LP's. the Vanilla Fudge first LP second side the "Break Song" this cut has all the boys taking a lengthly "ride" and Tim Bogart is out there riding all over the place hahahaha!!! I remember first hearing this LP and thinking what the hell are these guys smokin, plus their talents were pretty obvious once you got passed the outrageous intros and their unique sounds. 'A few weeks from hearing them I wound up on the same billings with them on a New England circuit of show clubs. Great guys, very talented and they enjoyed performance as well as musicianship. Bogart has a very good sence of rhythm and his style is very unique, I believe hes teaching on the West Coast (Calif.) and I've heard the band does go out with short tours. I hope its the original line up and would be interested in hearing how they sound and if their approach to playing has changed. Doc

11. geddeeee

geddeeee

Jun 30, 2006
    For me it has to be any version of By-Tor and the Snowdog by Rush from the late 70s. Any bootleg version has Geddy ripping it. Some really inventive and crazy rhythmic phrasing. A masterclass in 'on the fly' soloing!!!

12. Jeff 66

Jeff 66

Nov 5, 2009
  13. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
  14. All of, Orion- Metallica
    At Giza- Om
    Harlequin- Andy C Saxton

15. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
  16. my generation hasn't been mentioned yet.. lol. or 5:15

17. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Argentinean master Pedro Aznar's version of A.C. Jobim's "How Insensitive" includes a bass solo that is pure beauty to me. Check it out here (solo starts at 2:57).

18. Jimmy Johnson in Allan Holdsworth's "Panic Station"

Frank Bello in Anthrax's cover of "Got the Time"

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021