Favorite Bass Solo(s)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by alexssandro, Jun 19, 2000.

1. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Dave, cool story.

2. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KB:
    I would have to say Victor Wooten's solo in "Sinister Minister" (especially if you have ever seen it live, which I have twice).

-KB
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

for me its a toss up between that and "Amazing Grace." Vic is INSAINE!!!!!!!!

3. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    &gt;Willie Weeks' solo on "Everything Is Everything" from the Donny Hathaway Live album is awesome.

Dave is this the one that has a picture of him (Donny Hathaway) playing with some kids on the cover?

4. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pedro:
    Dave is this the one that has a picture of him (Donny Hathaway) playing with some kids on the cover?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    No, the one I have just has a headshot of Donny Hathaway singing on the cover. It's really hard to find. Took me like a year. It's an import. Worth tracking down though.

5. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
  6. Dave Siff

7. the mack

the mack

Mar 20, 2000
    it's not too long but i like louis johnson's solo on the brothers johnson's "stomp"

8. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    1)John Entwistle-My Generation by the Who--the earliest real bass solo in rock
    2)Steve Swallow-Last Week-from Out Like a Light by John Scofield-the most sensitive, lyrically gorgeous bass solo I've ever heard--and it's played with a pick, no less! Take that, all you whining anti-plectrists!
    3)Les Claypool-Tommy the Cat-Sailing the Seas of Cheese by Primus--IMO the Suck on This version sucks--it's long, wanky, and doesn't really go anywhere. The studio version, on the other hand, is one of the funniest things I've ever heard-I crack up every time I hear it. And-it's short.

9. msaygilar

msaygilar Guest

Apr 18, 2000
    Istanbul
    Jaco - Hovana and Jason Newsted - Tower of Strength.

------------------
    The Only Mask I Wear is the One I was Born With..

10. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    My favourite bass solo piece is 'The San Fransisco Bay Blues' by Colin Hodgkinson. It's certainly the most innovative use of a Fender Precision I've ever heard, and Colin's singing is great!

David

11. Dave Siff

Oh man, I thought of another one.. Michael Manring's solo on the tune "Oyasumi Nasai" on his "Drastic Measures" CD. Track #4.

12. I agree with Homer_J.

Chris Squire's solo in "The Fish" is AMAZING!

------------------
    ...Must...Make...Calluses...Harder!!!

13. i just bought kill them all today, and anethasia is great, i can play the beginning (who cant?), but i listen to the rest in astonishment, i got the tabs for it, i dont even know where to begin.

14. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    &gt;&gt;&gt;I don't even know this guy's name, but on Yanni's "Live at the Acropolis"-4th song I think&lt;&lt;&lt;

That'll be Ric Fierabracci - he's a monster player working in LA. I've seen him a few times with Frnk Gambale's trio, and also with Otmaro Ruis, at the Baked Potato - if he's playing anywhere near you, and and see. He's a fine soloist and a great bass player as well...

as for my fave bass solos, I'd go for 'Jaco' by Pat Metheny, played by Marc Egan, and 'Bright Sized Life' by Metheny, played by Jaco!

cheers

Steve
    ww.steve-lawson.co.uk

15. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I liked Alain Caron's playing on "Intuitions" from the Rhythm & Jazz disc. Soaring fretless, squeaky clean, and brains besides. I may wanna be him when I grow up...

16. All of the above and add Scott Thunes bass solo on Zappa's "Valley Girl". Also, anything by Entwistle.

17. I'm young, Please don't blame me for what i'm about to put. I may have missed the classics but this is what i like:-

The 2 solo's on 'coffee shop' by Flea. Especially the one with the wah wah. I like the last one because it is very aggressive.

The solo by flea from before 'aeroplane' live. (off napster)

'Tommy the cat' off suck on this by les claypool.

Sorry, I had to include Flea in here!!!
    Read my signature and you'll understand!!

From Russ

18. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    meatpuppets, maidens milk live is amazing

19. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I have three in mind right now:
    The O.C. Supertones: Supertones Strike Back
    Track 8 (I think): Tonight
    Awesome bass part that I've just recently learned to play.

No Doubt: Return of Saturn
    The really deep bass part near the end of the song is just awesome (through good speakers and a sub). It seems that a lot of people solo in the mid to upper range of the bass (not always true but holds true a lot of times from my experience) so it's cool to hear one near the bottom end of the bass.

The background music on the Gallien-Krueger product CD (played by "Trip"), come now: if you've hear it you know what I mean; that's awesome!

There's more, but that's just the parts that I have in my mind right now.

20. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I'd have to say that I like, in no particular order.

Geddy Lee - the middle of Freewill
    Chris Squire - the live version of Fish from Yessongs
    Stu Hamm - the solo from Country Music a Night in Hell
    Mike Gordon - the solo towards the end of the song Contact
    Geezer Butler - the intro to NIB

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021