Favorite Bass Solo(s)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by alexssandro, Jun 19, 2000.

1. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    Jaco....."Slang"

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Sorry to resurrect this topic - I know there's a similar one floating around somewhere, but I thought some people might be interested to see this:

http://www.forevernow.com/realvideo/basssolocopenhagen.ram

Yes, I know I once called Mark King the most-overrated bass player ever, but boy, can the man slap! :) If anyone out there likes Wooten, then they'll like this.

David

3. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    Germany
    Did anyone ever listen to Mark King's Bass Solo Live at Wembley?

You can get it on Napster.

It's awesome because you must realize how fast he's slapping!

BTW, Jaco ---> da good bassman!

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  5. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

David, thanks for those links!
    What a wanker, though..

6. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    Ah the beauty of NAPSTER...I found a Primus solo on there that is INCREDIBLE. It starts out with a drippingly distorted open A. Then he cuts that, and on with the slapping and 16th notes at blistering speed. Wicked!!! Look for it.

7. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    Germany
    is it the one with 2.9 MBs? Where Mark starts together with a silent snare drum noise then goes over to slap complete blues chords?

8. Hary

Hary Guest

Sep 19, 2000
    Hungary, Veszprém
    I can say I like all of the solos of Stanley Clarke, but especially: Mothership Connection(the version from the Bass-ic Collection), the start of Wild Dog, and Is Love Enough.
    I like Chris Squire's at the and of the great Yes number Fish.

Hary

9. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

Probably not, since it's a Primus solo!

10. Jon Stefaniak

Jon Stefaniak Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    I was at school last week, and a couple of guys were listening to an uncomprehensible jaco solo from some teaching book or something. they were following along with the music. it was beyond any other bass solo. sheer musicality, no slapping popping tricks. lots of 16th notes

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    anything by john entwhistle of The Who. he does some freakin awesome solos live and any of the songs he plays on sound like bass solos anyway.

12. anything by flea

13. zilla04

zilla04

Feb 11, 2000
    Franklin
    anything by geddy lee like that one part in la villa Strangiato

14. \m/cliffB\m/

\m/cliffB\m/

Jun 23, 2009
    dirty jearsy
    +!2

15. \m/cliffB\m/

\m/cliffB\m/

Jun 23, 2009
    dirty jearsy
    NAPSTER!! i remember that lol

16. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    lol wow, it's so weird to see people talking about NAPSTER in the present, it seems like a long time ago! Well it's already been 10 years...wow...

17. Anasthesia (pulling teeth)
    By Cliff Burton:bassist:

18. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    A favorite??
    That's tough. So many to choose from.

How about my CURRENT favorite.
    Played by Gary Willis from Tribal Tech and it's a short solo but beautifully played during the song "Wounded" from the Face First CD.

19. WAAAAAAAAY too many solos that I dig for me to post only one but here are a few.

Damian Erskine on "Bright Sized Life". Every time this guy lays down a solo it's gold. Of course that is my personal opinion but even among the bassists that I like there are few that are as melodically capable as this guy.

Another one of those few is Tony Grey. Both of his solo efforts have the bass in a lead position but I really cannot think of anyone that has done it like he has. So in his music he's pretty much at the melodic front of every song (and he fits right in) but in others' music, when he's in a more supportive role he pulls no punches on his solos like this one here on Hiromi Uehara's "If". I can't count how many times I've watched this one.

This next isn't one of the big guys but he definitely should be. He goes by Bassran on youtube. Apparently his real name is Ran. I wish I could find some recordings with him on them but all I've got it youtube vids and I love every last one. If you asked me to pick a favorite I couldn't but because I love Miles Davis' "So What" so much I'll link his solo over that. I hope that my post gets him a few more subscribers so he'll post vids more frequently :)

20. KNURRR

KNURRR

Oct 12, 2009
    Jing Chi - Go Figure (Solo was done by Jimmy Haslip) Very nice phrasing and ideas, great feel and the tone is perfect imo.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021