Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite live recording?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by seanm, Jun 18, 2004.

1. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I am a huge fan of live recordings. Given a choice between a live recording and a studio one; I will choose the live one every time.

My favorite live album is Motorhead's "No Sleep at All".

So, what is your favorite live recording?

2. Smashing Pumpkins-Earphoria. Just for the acoustic version of "Mayonaise" and the 15 minute "Silver####" with "Somewhere over the rainbow" in it

King Crimson-Starless and Bible Black. Recorded live with the crowd applause taken out.

3. outofthedeep

outofthedeep Guest

Jan 14, 2004
    East Texas

umm ditto that... none better imo...
    2nd place to dave matthews band in central park

4. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    IRON MAIDEN'S- 'ROCK IN RIO"

Can't get over Bruce singing-'Scream for me little wicked virgins.....and for mercy' or 'Something old......,something new......,something from our Jurassic Period-Wrathchild' or the ever popular-'Scream for me,Brazil'. :)

Super version of Fear of the dark.The intro inspired me to pick up the bass. :bassist:

Anyone else has it?

5. Motorheads "No sleep" is cool!

I also like "Live After Death" by Iron Maiden and The Who "Live At Leeds" Peter Frampton "Comes Alive"

Are some of my favs.

6. My fave was always Thin Lizzy's Live And Dangerous. A great recording. Alas, I later found out that the only thing live on it was the drums; there is a lot of post-production "sweetening" on that disc.

So my two favorites now are the Who's Live At Leeds and Husker Du's The Living End.

BTW--I don't know if Freaky Fender was only referring to the song, but the entire Starless And Bible Black album is not all live. The title track, "We'll Let You Know," and a few others are completely live. But "Great Deceiver" is a studio track, as is "Lament" and the rest. Great disc, though; had it in the car just the other day. Why Wetton doesn't play stuff like that anymore is beyond me.

7. seequeue

seequeue

Feb 13, 2004
    I didn't like the album so much, but I really loved metallica's version of call of ktulu with the san francisco orchestra

8. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Metallica's S&M is cool. I also like Rock In Rio by Iron Maiden (glad I bought it!) :)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Rush in Rio
    Earth, Wind, & Fire - Live in Rio '75
    Maze - Live in New Orleans
    Jamiroquai - Live in Toronto
    Brand New Heavies - Live in Glasgow
    Swing Out Sister - Live in Japan
    Led Zepplin - Live in New York
    Trouble Funk - Saturday Night Live at the Cap Center
    Steely Dan - Alive in America
    Black Sabbath - Live Evil

10. "Alone Together" Jim Hall - Ron Carter Duo
    "Live At The Village West" Jim Hall - Ron Carter Duo
    "Live At The Boston Tea Party - (parts 1,2,3)" - Fleetwood Mac
    "The Filmore Concerts" - The Allman Brothers Band

- Wil

11. fu manchu's go for it...live is the greatest one i've heard so far.
    zeppelins how the west was won was pretty cool too, i havent gotten motorheads no sleep till hammersmith yet, but if its everything i've heard it to be, fu manchu may go to second place

12. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Prince and the Revolution when they rocked the Carrier Dome..his riffs during an extended version of Purple Rain were awesome.

13. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Live from Oz- Planet X
    Rush in Rio-Rush
    S&M- (The last good thing metallica ever did, and boy was it good!)-MetallicA
    Rock in Rio- I haven't actually heard it all yet, I just saw it on TV and heard a few songs, but I really should buy it. (They are Amazing in concert, Even better than April Wine :p )
    Cirkus- King Crimson

(they aren't in any order, but Live form Oz is my fave, just because they're my fave band!)

14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have both "No Sleep Till Hammersmith" and "No Sleep at All". I strongly recommend No Sleep at All. I feel it is the much better of the two albums, if only for Lemmy's spoken intro to "Built for Speed".

I also love "Rush in Rio" and "Rock in Rio".

15. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

the jesus lizard- show
    the birthday party- live 81-82

16. Vertical Horizon - "Live Stages"

17. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Live at Leeds - The Who
    In case you didn't feel like showing up - Ministry

18. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

HELL

****ING

YES

Also, Megadeth's "Rude Awakening", DT "Metropolis 2000" and who can forget, the new 2 Disc LED ZEPPELIN!