1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Favourite bass + rig combinations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by punkjazzben, Mar 13, 2013.

1. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Bit of a thread-for-the-sake-of-a-thread thread here. Not sure if this is about basses or amps, though, so move it if you need to, mods.

Who has come across a combination of one bass and one rig that together, without adding any pedals, pre's, etc. between the instrument and amplifier, produced 'the tone' you wanted? What are your favourite combinations? (e.g. early 70s Fender Precision into an Ampeg SVT+810 of some species).

For practical purposes, my current favourite combination is a Yamaha BB405 into a Warwick WA300 and WCA411 Pro. It just works with minimal tweaking. My Fender P seems to need a bit of tube emulation or soft overdrive in the signal path plus some boosting around 60-70Hz. That means pedals, batteries, fiddling, etc. I like minimalism and having gear that is, essentially, 'plug-and-play'.

From what I've heard, I like the sound of an older Warwick Thumb NT5 played through an Eden setup (wish I could be more specific about the Eden gear, though). The Warwick-Eden combination seems to nail 'the tone' for me as well.

2. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    Schecter Stiletto C-4 and an almost cranked Peavey Basic 50. You can really hear your mistakes like that but if you manage to play clean it's a hell of a tone to play with. Real stupid clear with just a touch of dirt if you dig in.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    My favorite straight up no pedals set up is a Ric 4003 through an Ampeg V4BH/SVT15e or B15R. Both Ampegs are the late SLM-era re-issues. The Ric is punchy and bright, amps/cabs are deep and fat. The 2 together is sublime.

4. VBassRookie

VBassRookie

Dec 20, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I just purchased a G&L ASAT bass and it is perfect. My amp setup is another story. I have an Eden XLT 2X10 cab but didn't have enough coin for a good head. Wasn't sure if I would really go all in with the bass. Just started playing a few months ago. I figured the cab was a safe investment if I didn't get into bass too much. Gonna be looking for a nice head for my cab soon. I currently have a GK Backline 600 which was just something to put noise in the speaker. I've been playing regular guitar for 30+ years, wish I would have picked up the bass sooner! Looking forward to hear everyone's amp choices.

5. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    1974 Fender Jazz (alder/rosewood)
    dbx 160A
    Demeter HBP1
    ISP Bass Vector 15

My God. The purest fundamental I've ever experienced.

6. LouieV2

LouieV2

Jan 9, 2011
    Boston, MA
    My Am. Std. Fender P with flats into my Little Mark III/Ampeg SVT410HLF is the perfect p bass sound without any tweaking. EQ flat, tone wide open.

7. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Pbass with flats, bag end 15 stack, gk400. Pure raunch

8. Later Peavey Foundation through 2002 Eden WT 400 traveler and GK 410. Most usable, flexible bass tone I've had.

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Any good P through a Sunn 200s. One of the greatest P-bass tones over IMO.

10. Ampeg Cl with 810 and American Fender Jazz Deluxe V
    Anything Mesa with Anything Warwick.

11. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Benavente SCD4 Standard (modded w/nordy big singles, Babicz bridge, Hip Shot D-tuner, and a Fat Finger) into an Ampeg PF350, 2x210av stack.

Of course I run a loaded Mini into it, but I don't need it for "my tone"!

J!

12. Fender P w/Flats
    60's Kustom200 head
    2x15 cab

Thumpin and bumpin!

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

My current setup is the best sounding I have ever heard (and a few bassists friends as well as all of my band members agree. I have owned tons of gear, but I think I am set.

Unfortunately the bass is pricy and the pre is fairly expensive. Worth it IMO.

Fodera Emperor Standard 5 -> Jule Monique pre -> Crest or Crown power amp -> Bergantino AE210 cabs.

14. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    After 30 years of experimentation with literally dozens of amps and hundreds of basses, I've managed to boil it all down to this;

My USA Spector NS-2....

amberns-2second010_zps602aeab0.

Played through my Phil Jones M-500 head into PJB 8-T and 16-B cabs...

I do use a pedal board, but it's very simple - just an EQ, chorus, noise gate (used only for my passive single-coil basses) and a tuner. The sound is still awesome with all of the pedals bypassed. I'm mainly a metal player, and while this setup excels at that style, it can also handle funk, blues, country, fusion and anything else you throw at it.

15. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Easy. Lakland 55-94 and Fender Super Bassman 300 and Fender Neo 610.
    002-6.

16. Without pedals or anything?? Not me. I run a conklin gt7 tuned G#beadgc(eq flat)into a bbe sonic stomp(which I use in the same way as an onboard pre) then comes a sans amp RBI which has a pod hd in the effects loop just for effects and an mk2 footcontroller that's all that goes to FOH, my "stage monitor" is a swr750x which gets its signal from the sans amp into the effects return of the 750x powering a ampeg 410 he classic cab. I could play the majority of our stuff without the effects but some parts would not sound the same at all , especially where I use delay for two hand tapping parts on newer material.

17. mournblade

mournblade Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Roanoke, TX
    any of my basses into a cranked VBA ->Mesa 4x12/Mesa 2x15. I love it!

18. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Wait until you hear that new Spector Forte-X of yours through that rig - its going to sound killer!
    :bassist:

19. mournblade

mournblade Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Roanoke, TX
    I am drooling over that prospect.

20. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Posts like this need a "like" button :bassist: