fbb basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drake Kennedy, Nov 22, 2004.

1. what do you think of them? i'm pretty sure i'm gonna buy one, just wanted you guys' opinions. i'm (hopefully) going to go try them out over christmas break, so i'll form my own ideas then.
  2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I really those basses A LOT.
    There are some TBers that own some FBB (Xush and Jon Chewning are the first ones I remember).
    I love the way they look and read positive reviews of them.
    The luthier himself (damn it, I can`t remember his name) is a TBer too. You can contact him in the Luthier`s Corner section.

My personal fav so far is #1067 (belongs to Jon Chewning)
  3. thanks, glad to see no horror stories!
    email me for the planned setup if you want it.
    can't talk now, but i'll be back
  4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Bought a fretless, 6-string.
    Great bass for the money.
    Would buy another

5. His name is Matt Schmill and he's a regular down in "Luthiers". He's also had a feature done on him for the main page.
  6. yeah, matts a cool guy, i talk alot with him in email, hes really flexible about his work too
    i just read the interview, and my decision has only been strengthened
  7. Good basses for the money and Matt is a great guy to deal with.
  8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Another fan right here. I was thinking about trading away my FBB because I need a fretted bass, but I couldn't bear to...so I'm trading my F bass instead! Mine is FBB #2, and I have some pictures up here:
    I've since applied some tung oil finish on it and it looks even more amazing. I've bugged Matt with a bunch of questions a bunch of times and he always gets back to me promptly and is helpfu even though I got my FBB used. He is a great person to work with.

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Wow that has to say alot about Matt's work!!!

I have only tried Xush's 8-string SC bass that he brought to ATL when he was intown to see a Yes show with his band. It was a really cool and very well constructed bass.

Good luck on your search.
  10. While visiting my family in Massachusetts drove up to Matt's place. He's is a super great guy who does exceptional work for an exceptional price...major bang for the buck. I came away with a bass that I will never get rid of...it fits be like a glove, looks as good as anything out there, sounds awesome and is the most playable bass I owe.

I want another one day in addition to this one.
  11. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    Here is a sweet one.

Attached Files:

12. I think I'm ganna have to ban myself from Talkbass...
    Seeing all these sweet action basses make me want one!
    and there's no way I can afford it!
    I WANT A CUSTOM BASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crying:
  13. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Matt makes the best basses in the world, period. He made #1065-02 for me, and I am ecstatic about it. Excellent tone and build quality.
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    He's made hands down THE neck for me. His necks are pretty beefy, be warned (he can change it, but just know they're pretty massive unless you specify), and I couldn't love them much more having played a couple of Xush's and even had the deposit check made out when reality came crashing down (college tuition...)

Shame, too. If I ever scrape together the dough for a custom, he's first on my list.
  15. joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    I had Matt build 1066 for me.

Fits me like a glove and sounds awesome.

I'm ITM for a 5 and am considering a Dingwal or one of Matts creations, so I was down at his shop on Sunday to play three 5's. (lucky for me I live about 5 miles away).

His single pickup Wenge faced hollow body has no tone and volume controls. It completely blew me away by the sound it produced. For a 33' scale bass, the B string sounded huge with incredible focus. We figured with no pot loading, the wood and single Bartolini were just singing solo.

You will be happy with Matts work.
  16. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    In what sense are the necks big. Are the wide, or more, chunky? ANy necks to compare them too? Warwick?
  17. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Round, kind of like Warwick. Fills your hand. He can build whatever you want, but those fat necks are awesome. I believe they contribute to the 'fatness' of the tone.

I loves mine! Wish I still played bass.
    ze Xush collection
  18. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    argh! Don't tempt me! I love that one.

I have a 32" 4-string and a 33" 5-string, and they sound dang good!
    No problems with those scales at all.
  19. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Very round, thick, fat, however you want to interpret that. They're only as wide as the customer asks, but they make even Warwick and Spector necks look wimpy and girly in comparison.

It's a very chunky D sort of profile. I dig the hell out of them.

Wait, still played bass? Does that Mean 12-099 is up for grabby?