1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fearful Builders

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by malleable, Aug 13, 2012.

1. malleable

malleable

Nov 13, 2011
    I'm looking into getting a Fearful 15/6, and was wondering if anyone can recommend a builder, either one of those listed on the Greenboy website, or someone else? (Prices seem comparable between all of the Greenboy references.) I am leaning towards getting my box carpeted, so looking for someone that would accommodate that as well.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    All of the authorized fEARful builders are listed on Dave's site, other builders may not produce a true fEARful.

3. +1
    Every authorized build I see gives me GAS.

4. Forgive me, on my ph here...
    Can we get a link to that list please?

5. malleable

malleable

Nov 13, 2011
    I thought I ran across someone who made Fearful builds that were carpeted. I didn't see this option on any of their websites. Has anyone had a carpeted rig made by one of these authorized builders?

6. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    Call the one closest to you and simply ask. The reason you may not see pictures of carpeted cabs in their display photos may be because not many people like the rat fur anymore. More so, Duratex coatings con be made in custom colors and a great deal of people are going that way, not to mention Duratex cures hard and offers extra protection. I do remember seeing one of the AB covering a 66 in fur.

7. It shouldnt be much different than tolex. Contact a few of them and see who does it, I would expect it to be an added cost though as all extras tend to be.

+1

That said black duratex looks pretty sharp up on stage.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Remember that the authorized builders are all 'small shops', usually one or two man operations. What that means is that you can work with whoever you choose to make it YOUR cab, even if builders don't list some options, just ask! Most of the guys will be open to your requests as long as it doesn't compromise the integrity of the cabinet design...they're all nice guys too.

9. They also have to adhere to pretty strict business practices, and are pretty easy to deal with. Heck, if they don't do what you're looking for, chances are they will refer you to someone that will.

10. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I work mainly in composite (I'm an authorized builder) with Duratex but I could do carpet. I've done it many times before. With the composite there is a huge weight savings. But they cost more.

11. Fro 20

Fro 20

Feb 23, 2009
    Buffalo, New York
    Carpeting is child's play to these guys (the authorized builders). They can make some pretty far-out looking cabs. There is just a ton of stuff out there in the way of customizing/construction that these guys can do. Just dream something up.

They are immovable on some issues though, changing the size of the cab or moving things even half a millimeter and it won't be a to-spec fEARful. I wanted a "special cutout" for my tremendous package when I bend over to pick it up, but Leland said it was a no-go, it would compromise the internal volume.

12. jHawk Customs

jHawk Customs Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    Authorized Builder - greenboy designs
    Anything cosmetic can be done.
    The impossible just takes longer and costs more.:):)

13. barryaudio

barryaudio

Feb 9, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Authorized Builder: fEARful bass, greenboy designs, Bill Fitzmaurice
    +1 :D