1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEARful/fEARless - Guidance Needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drumandbass75, May 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BigBasserino

BigBasserino

Apr 30, 2017
    Ah, so that's the reason for the 6 in general. I've never really played with a tweeter or anything so I'm looking cautiously. There seems to be a high end ring that I'm guessing can be EQ'd down (I'd like to do overdrive tones too) but I obviously want to build something that brings the bacon that I can attenuate too. Generally I can hear the ring in YouTube videos

But I hear a lot of great tone in there as well.

Notice you're from Jersey. ...I live in the north central area.

2. popgadget

popgadget Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    That F112 looks familiar!

3. popgadget

popgadget Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    Another significant benefit of the smaller midrange driver is that it has better off axis performance than a larger driver.

Kro likes this.
  4. Raulplaysbass

Raulplaysbass

Jun 3, 2017
    SGV, Ca
    Hey there! People always ask what Ampeg model it is! Been pumping 1600 watts threw it since day 1 except when I used the SVTII!

Thanks Paul!

BigBasserino likes this.
  5. kartiste

kartiste

May 5, 2008
    I don't think the mid-driver is always a necessity. The Faital 15FH520 models nearly identically to the 3015LF at the low end on excursion and SPL at same power and box size, but the response curve goes fairly smoothly to 3k, vs the fruitiness beginning at 1k with the 3015LF. Granted, different manufacturers can use different test methods, but to my ears the Faital is fine without a mid. They cost me the same as 3015LF's would have.

Kro likes this.
  6. kartiste

kartiste

May 5, 2008
    Pic. IMG_20180503_232207177_LL. I think these would kill for reggae.

TAZ and Kro like this.
  7. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    *On axis.

I guess it just comes down to preference - some users won't want anything other than a 3-way cab, some won't miss the tweeter, and some like you wouldn't mind having less 3-5kHz either (or something probably like 1.5-5kHz off axis). As @popgadget noted, dispersion is another potential reason why a mid driver may be beneficial, and in looking at the frequency response of that Faital, while it does seem pretty decent, for many users an accompanying mid might still prove beneficial depending on their tastes.

As always though, ears are the best judge - and no doubt that's a great looking set that you have. (Also a good-looking F210 peeking out from the corner)!

kartiste likes this.
  8. drumandbass75

drumandbass75

Nov 22, 2013
    I agree...no mids though?

9. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yup, I'm a 609-er. I live and do most of my rehearsing just east of Princeton. While my apartment is no good for playing at any sort of volume, if you're nearby, you're welcome to stop by late-night at the end of a rehearsal to hear the F115 in person.

Or you could do what I did and cross the border into Bucks County to go visit Greenboy Authorized Builder @popgadget who built my F115 and test any demo models he has on hand. Word of warning: be prepared to lose some cash if you go that route - if you find that the sound is for you, it isn't easy to walk away without putting in an order.

Raulplaysbass and jumbodbassman like this.
  10. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    +
    =
    NO.

:D:laugh::roflmao::laugh::D

11. BigBasserino

BigBasserino

Apr 30, 2017
    Cool, ya I'm a 908-er. Maybe I'll take you up on that. Idk, honestly I got pulled in by Greenboy's spiel of "build higher quality cabinets than the consumer grade". Kinda reminds me of the pcmasterrace revolution. Like I said, I'm not too concerned with character cabs, I do like a bright tone, just not looking to scrape up my eardrums. One of these days I'll get a flat pack or make my own.

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Thought I might add a couple of rig pics...Can't find one of the 1212/6/1 or the 12/6/1, but here are some 15/6/1 pics and a 15sub. I now use a Crest Prolite 3.0 and an old ART model 259 preamp for TX and HI. Sometimes use a Mesa Subway 800 with the upright when running a magnetic Krivo pickup on the upright. Yes, 800 watts into a 4 ohm 1212/6/1.
    For upright. Yup.

Texas reggae rig:
    fEARfuls%202%20smaller.

Hawaii reggae rig:
    fEARful.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    dukeorock likes this.
  13. drumandbass75

drumandbass75

Nov 22, 2013

Jim Carr likes this.
  14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I found a decent recent picture of me and the 1212/6/1 hanging on stage in Austin with the upright doing a "Tristan Thorndyke and the RocknRoll Cannibals" gig in Fall 2017. N.B., the head is the much vaunted Crest prolite 3.0 and the old ART pre in a 3 space rack bag. Total weight about 23 lbs. for the head. I was also in FOH via countryman type 85, as if it was needed.

IMG_4055.JPG

And another from the same gig, but probably before we started. Note magnetic pickup (Krivo) at end of fingerboard. IMG_4046.JPG

Stumbo, dukeorock and Raulplaysbass like this.
  15. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Good hair!:)

Jim Carr and Raulplaysbass like this.
  16. My Fearless F112 velcro'd Puma_0527.JPG
    The horn on the fearless 112H has an attenuator, so you can turn it down/off if you like. Actually you can order the f112 without a horn if you prefer. I like it for playing (HiFi) MP3 through whilst practicing and I turn down the (8kHZ) Treble control on my amp so my bass isn't too toppy.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  17. BigBasserino

BigBasserino

Apr 30, 2017
    Nice. If I ever get around to it I probably want to go bigger, but good to know. Thanks.

18. Two of them would easily handle 800W and outperform most 4x10s, or 2x15s.

19. boamedt

boamedt Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    For reggae there is no other way to go than feearful/fearless. I play reggae exclusively and have not found a better tone. I built a 15/6 and it was phenomenal, more clear bottom end than any cab i have ever used. I only sold it to help pay for my wedding. With the agreement i could build another one later. So then i built 2 12/6s because the 15/6 wont fit in my 350z. The 2 12/6s were glorious and aounded superb for reggae. Just as much low end as the 15 but in a smaller lighter (35lbs) package. I run mine with a mesa boogie pre/di and a crest prolite 3.0.... do yourself a favor, get a fearful. And you dont need the tweeter
    20180601_165309.

Jim Carr and Raulplaysbass like this.
  20. Raulplaysbass

Raulplaysbass

Jun 3, 2017
    SGV, Ca
    I went tweeterless on my F212. Don’t miss it. That 5” covers all my high end needs. I have the tweeter in my F112 and it’s nothing like what I’m used to. Not glassy at all. No hiss. Defines the top end more. To my ears.

15C97AEB-2D49-4EE9-9675-E7368CE301AF.