Feeder jazz geddy lee necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toomas72, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Yes they are the thinest neck fender has made in awhile.
    I personally did not like them.
    Could not dig in on neck.
    Traded my Geddy neck for a Roadworn P-neck.
    Put that on Jazz body, everything is great now.

2. Which year Geddys have the limited edition neck plates? Besides the inlaid blocks,do these these early issues have any other features not found on the newer ones?

3. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I'll chime in. 07 Serial neck.. painted for sure. I got a spot where its not painted the same as the other areas.. this is not inlay material.

4. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Joel - could you please post some pictures of your off-looking painted inlay? I've heard many "painted inlay" claims, but no one has ever shown any pictures of them. Thanks!

5. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    If you go to GC you can easily see they arent the same as the blocks on say squires or american deluxe's or the avri'75 jazz its not hard to tell it isnt inlaid .Whether its painted ,silk screened, etched ,lazered , they arent inlays fender tells you that on the site , every neck with blocks has them described as "block inlays" while the geddy's are described as "black rectangular position markers"

6. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I don't have any pics and I don't own a Geddy, but I've always thought they were cool and I've wanted one for a while now. Mainly for a J bass to take to sleazy gigs that my '69 wouldn't go to and the Geddies do feel and sound great. I've played a lot of them in the store ever since they came out and I noticed on my own, before I ever heard of this site or any other talk about it, that they started painting the blocks and binding after several years into the production.

I noticed it because I could see where the lines bled over a little bit on the blocks on a particular Geddy I was playing about 6 or 7 years ago. Since then I've seen bleeding on the blocks and binding on other Geddies I've played (I always look carefully at every one I see now). So anyways, I'm just another person here to say that I've seen both and it's not a myth.

7. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    The burden of proof is on you , Everyone who has tried to find the answer has come to the conclusion that the blocks arent inlaid anymore , youre the only one who still thinks theyre inlaid . You can email fender or call them if you want but theyre not inlaid ,unless youre just disputing paint vs. some other technique used to apply black stuff to maple.

I think it was a smart change if the inlaid blocks infact weaken the neck because of the fact that its so thin , better to sacrifice vanity for utility

8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    best pic I have of the painted inlays is this one...it's not great, but at the last inlay, you can see a bit of blurriness around the edge of the inlay. this is, in fact, how it looks up close.

bass-1.jpg

9. Are the necks thin from back to front or merely more narrow at the nut? Is it a matter of radius?

10. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Thanks, Spinal Tapper. What about the binding? Real, or painted?

11. subtlestew

subtlestew Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    Chiming in here in answer to superdick2112...

I've got the same 'blurriness" that Spinal Tapper reports noticing on his block, but mine is on the binding on the topside of the neck, right where it meets the head. Instead of ending abruptly, as real binding would do, it kinda "fades out" where the wood curves up towards the tuners.

So, I'm thinking painted for the binding, matching the blocks.

It's a fairly recent Geddy, new enough for not to have real binding.

12. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Yes, his is gone now, 2 years ago. Actually last year he had a Fender Geddy Lee neck put on his favorite, the original, Geddy Lee jazz. It only took 38 years for the first, original, neck to go bad...
    :bassist:

This is why I don't own a Fender Geddy and why I made my own from SX (sold it) and am making one again from my Squier VM. I love my VM neck, but not the Fender Geddy neck....I also love the Duncan designed pups too!

13. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I've bought and sold (I'm one of those guys who parts out the neck from the body :)) about 5-7 Geddy Lees and every one has looked like painted binding and inlays. Obviously I didn't go magnifying glass on them (I will next time). They always feel amazing and I'm always tempted to keep one but alas...black is the worst color on a guitar...and I prefer MOP inlays. The necks always go FAR faster and for a bit more than the loaded bodies (I only part the neck from the loaded body).

14. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    I adore my Geddy Lee Jazz Bass. It's like a shredder with it's thin neck. I can fly around it like I do on my Ibanez RG550.

15. To follow up on blipndub's post, this extra thinness of the neck refers to front to back, right? The nut width is the standard 1.5 " jazz width, correct? Also read on a post yesterday that neck radius refers to only the fretboard. This number actually is the radius of the entire neck, right? I always looked at radius as relative-ie.-the higher the number, the flatter the back of the neck. 12" is flatter than 7.5" or 9" for example. Please enlighten me.

16. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Yes, the Geddy's are thin front to back with a standard Jazz width of 1.5" and a radius of 9.5"

You second statement doesn't always hold true. A bass may have a flat radius with a round carve on the back.

17. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    that doesnt look like a fender signature geddy lee neck to me

Geddy Lee Pictures - Rush Time Machine Tour At The MGM Grand Garden Arena - Zimbio

18. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
  19. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i wonder why?

20. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    as far back as I can remember, there's been the same debate about the painted inlays.

And right when the geddy came out, everyone complained about the neck, bows and twists were not uncommon. Fender somehow corrected this and people kinda forgot about the issue and it became sort of an urban legend. If you do a search on the fdp forum about the geddy you'll find that the oldest threads have a general feeling of the likes of "stay away from the geddy".

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021