Feeder jazz geddy lee necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toomas72, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    He probably wanted the different inlays. :D

2. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    no, the 7.25' or 9.5", or 12", 14", etc.--that is the radius of the fretboard.

the actual neck carve is described often by shape: U-shaped, C-shaped, shallow C, V-shaped, Boatneck, etc.

sometimes, there will be a thickness dimension listed, usually at the first fret, like .80" at 1st fret, etc.

hope this helps

3. I've got a 2000 GL ("Limited Edition" backplate) with inlaid blocks & real binding...but here is my question. I have a dim recollection that the early GLs had "bakelite" knobs like the 60s & early '70s Jazz Basses. I have a real 3 knob '62 & a '66 as well as two of the 2001 Mars Music Ice Blue Metallic 3 knob '62 reissues and a late 90's American Jazz Deluxe. The knobs on my GL definitely look more like the real '60s ones than on my newer ones. Does anyone else recall that the GLs had the bakelite knobs? Or, am I just hallucinating.

4. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    I had a Geddy about 4 years ago, and didn't like how thin the neck was. It also didn't take very well to thicker strings, or strings that had a higher tension, like Rotos.

5. I found the neck to be too thin for my tastes, it was way heavy too. I only kept mine month or so.

6. TonH

TonH

Jan 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Here are some pictures of my Geddy Lee (limited edition neckplate). Inlay or painted on?

Attached Files:

7. TonH

TonH

Jan 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    And another one. Please click on the thumbnail for a bigger picture.

Regards,

TonH

Attached Files:

8. TonH

TonH

Jan 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Can someone tell me if my GL has inlays or not?
    See earlier posts for pictures of my GL.

Thanks!

9. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    Those look like Inlays to me. I can see the glue line
    around the edges which is a tell-tale sign of inlays.

If they were painted you wouldn't be able to see
    anything on the edges other than a sharp or blurry edge.

:cool:

10. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    That's odd since Geddy Lee uses Rotos on his basses...

11. refuge4

refuge4

Jan 23, 2009
    Houston, TX, USA
    Owned a few, different years. Still have all of the necks. I'll have to check serial numbers to confirm dates, but if memory serves I think an '06, '07, and a '10. I was always under the impression that they were all painted on, but it never made much difference to me. I will say that the reference to them not holding up well is completely false in my experience. I have been using very heavy strings on mine (i'll have to check but 135-65) for a long time (like 3-4 years) with no problems at all. Truss rod is still functioning great and still has a good bow.

12. Hey guys,

I was just wondering if someone could mesure the dimensions of this neck ?
    -Width at nut, width at 12 fret, width at last fret ?
    -Thickness at 1st fret, thickness at 12 fret ?
    -String spacing ?

Cauz I am looking to buy a bass with a small neck !

Thank you :)

13. Scogman

Scogman

Apr 20, 2011
    Bangkok Thailand
    You could take a look at the Fender American Special Jazz Bass. It has the thin neck profile but instead of gloss on the back of the neck it's satin, which I prefer. Also it has dots instead of block, but it's a really good playing thin profile neck.

14. TonH

TonH

Jan 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Thanks!!!

15. That poor man.

StringNavigator likes this.
  16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    This is indeed the case and also answers the OP. The original necks developed fatal problems remarkably fast.

Enda story.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021