Feeder jazz geddy lee necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toomas72, Mar 21, 2011.

1. toomas72

toomas72

Nov 9, 2010
    I have a geddy fender jazz I really like it alot so I was on eBay just looking at what's available (thinking of picking up another bass to keep only in drop "D") but found many geddy jazz basses for sale with missing necks on them??? What gives???? are the necks breaking or are people robbing them for other basses? Just wondering

2. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Aug 22, 2004
    Iowa
    lots of times, you can get more for the neck separately than the whole bass because the necks are just so good. The geddy lee neck is probably the best neck i've ever felt on a jazz. It's also really unique.

3. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i thought it was because the necks are shaved down thinner than a regular neck, therefore they warp easier, just like Geddy's (his is gone now)

4. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    that would be my guess too but theres probably just as many people taking the necks off them and throwing them on p basses... how many threads do you see on here on j neck on a p bass im going to guess and say probably 3 to 5 pop up every week. oh and by the way you spelled fender wrong its not feeder ha.

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers
    Gotta love them feeder necks

:bag:

6. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    There's quite a few sellers that just part out guitars because they get more for selling the parts individually. Some of them part out some real rare ones too.

7. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    DSC01013-1.jpg

It's an amazing neck.. I think the newer painted on marks are better than the actual binding which made for a very weak neck with a high failure rate. This was fixed sometime by painting the inlays on instead of actually taking wood off and putting inlays on it. Mine is rock solid, I just hope it stays that way. If not, washers might help me get some more truss tug.

8. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Geddy's original '72 Jazz Bass neck did not warp - from what he stated in an interview, it's truss rod route became so bored-out from hundreds of adjustments that it was no longer servicable. Same with re-fretting - his neck had been re-fretted so many times, the wood could not take another re-fret.
    Basically, he just wore it out.

9. superdick2112

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Urban legend, and complete nonsense! :rollno:

I don't know how this ugly rumor got started, but I challenge ANYONE to post pictures showing worn or peeling "painted" fingerboard markers. I have a 1st year Geddy Jazz, and its black plastic block inlays are the same as the ones in the 4-5 BRAND-NEW Geddy Jazz basses I examined this weekend at several Denver guitar stores. I wish a Fender rep would chime in here and put an end to this myth. :mad:

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    They've been painted blocks for several years now...did they switch back to real inlays for the 2010/11 models?? I had an 06, and it had painted blocks.

I heard this too, though, that the necks are more stable with painted blocks. It makes sense to me...that they would be stronger when you have to cut less wood out of them

11. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Here's a good thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/geddy-lee-fender-bass-222050/index3.html

Old model neck hacked up and sawed open. Real blocks and binding. Then it goes further with a quoted fender rep saying that they're now painted.

12. superdick2112

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Not true - there is a person on that thread claiming his "friend at Fender" told him the inlays are now painted - this is NOT the same thing as an actual Fender Representative stating that this is so.

:ninja:

13. I've posted about this before: I took my '08 Fender MIM 50's Classic series P Bass neck and had it reshaped into a replica of the Geddy Lee Jazz neck. I have been a Jazz bass player most of my playing days and I just couldn't get on with the P Bass neck. I love the ultra slim Geddy neck so instead of searching for one, I had Michael Dolan reshaped mine. He did an excellent job and I'm very pleased with it. I've been toying with the idea of having my Jazz bass done too because although it's a Jazz neck, it's not as comfortable for me than the Geddy neck.

14. So in summation, do all Geddys have real plastic blocks-none have painted blocks?

15. superdick2112

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    I do believe this is true, and I have never seen anything to make me think otherwise. The whole "painted inlay" myth is exactly that - a myth.

16. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    i'm not gonna sit here and argue with a guy named "superdick" but I believe you are wrong, friend.

my 06 geddy definitely had painted inlays.

17. superdick2112

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    My user name has nothing to do with any kind of attitude (nor anything else vulgar - see the "what does your user name mean?" thread for an explaination, if interested), and I'm not trying to argue with anyone on this subjuct - I'm simply asking for actual proof (owner's photos, or preferrably the word of an actual Fender rep.) before I believe any random forum member's claims that Fender is implementing such a cheap move on a quality Japanese made bass.

18. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Ok, I found another one that's a copy and paste from a Fender email:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/block-inlays-geddy-lee-jazz-real-fake-94597/index2.html

31HZ likes this.
  19. It's getting to the point where the "real" inlays vs. "painted" debate should be stickied!!

20. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    The older ones had real blocks. This is true. The older Geddy's also had a Special Edition stamp on the neck plate. If yours has this stamp, chances are it probably has real block inlays too.

The new(er) ones are painted on (just like my 06 was, like I said before). Ive examined it up close many times before I sold it, and you can see it is certainly paint. I don't think I have a photo, but I'll check.

Painting the blocks on wasn't a way for CIJ Fenders to "cheap out". It was a refined design to increase neck stability by not removing any more wood than needed to create Fender's thinnest jazz neck ever produced.

I don't really see any argument here. I thought this was pretty common knowledge to Geddy owners/enthusiasts.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 20, 2021