Feel like a Rock Star now!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Whippet, Apr 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    Just got the EICH Bass Board.

Holy cow!!! If anyone of you want to feel important without playing loud and in front of a billion people, then get this thing.

All it does is make vibrations under your feet. And holy cow, can it rumble.

It works well but now to the bad part.
    1. it has no internal amp so it will suck up your amp power. My 250 watt TC electronic sounded pretty lame. But this could be because I got the M size and not the S size bass board which might suck less power.

2. to get more vibration you have to turn up the volume, which basically defeats the purpose of the rig, since I want to feel like a VIP rock star at 6 am when I CAN NOT turn up the volume. It seems like the amp volume is what dictates how much this thing will vibrate. I need to fiddle around with this thing but I believe I am pretty right about this problem. It does have a headphone output but it is under the board and I just can not fathom connecting any headphone from below, all the way up to my head. It just doesn't seem right.

I guess I could connect a headphone directly to my amp and feel the power but I hoped to be able to use this without using a headphone and without disturbing people around me.

3. It is hell heavy. You ain't gonna be moving it around. It's almost anachronistic in this day and age of light weight rigs.

4. I wish the corner edges were a little less sharp. One day I will trip over this thing and be bleeding and crying.

5. I was under the impression that the vibration was firing upwards so I wouldn't disturb the neighbors below but my wife says she can feel it 15ft away at moderate volume. (subjective but think, not too loud, still subject. LOL) This means 6 AM rockstar sessions might be out of the picture if I turn up the amp too much.

That said, I love this thing. If you have a hard time feeling the air/beat from all sorts of reasons or just want to feel like a rockstar (like myself) get this rig. It is cheap and it will give you all the orgasms you will ever need. Incidentally it vibrates like you know what. LOL

Qlanq, dabis and Zbysek like this.
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I don’t need such play things to make me a star! :D

3. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    My old band wrote all original songs, played hundreds of shows, toured a lot, played with big national acts, had albums available in music stores and iTunes before it was easy, had a video play on Headbangers Ball, and I never felt like a rockstar....

If only I had the EICH Bass Board!!!!!!

I'm only joking... if it works for you, congrats!

Zbysek and Whippet like this.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmm ... seems to me TecAmp made/makes such a thing. Maybe Eich owns the patent.

Whippet likes this.
  5. P-oddz

P-oddz

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I watched Headbanger's Ball religiously when I was younger. What was the band/song?

6. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Testify, from Better Left Unsaid. We were signed to Stillborn Records at the time which is owned by Jamie Jasta of Hatebreed. He was hosting the second iteration of HB and obviously wanted to promote a band he signed.

7. sm49341

sm49341

May 12, 2013
    Michigan
    I can understand where youre coming from. We had an outdoor gig last year and i actually got to use a little volume, as we were quite spread out. We were on a flatbed semi trailer. That trailer floor was just really vibrating with the bass tone and i cannot say i didnt love it. My piano guy plays my bass on a few tunes and he also remarked on the shaking floor.

imabuddha and Whippet like this.
  8. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    putting the rockstar thing aside, it just feels good and needless to say you when you can feel the vibration / air, it's easier to get on top of the beat.

I play with a headphone amp at 6 am and not being able to feel the beat is not natural when you play the bass and this Bass Board is a good substitute for those that can't (literally) feel the beat.

9. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    If I remember correctly, Eich split from Tecamp. They got into a fight or some disagreement. Their amps are pretty much the same but the speaker cabinets are not.

I am tempted to try out one of their 1210 speakers. I am just afraid that it won't be much different from my Barefaced Big Baby 2 since all the new 12 inch speakers coming out kinda sound the same (hi fi).

10. bassbooty

bassbooty -Rey Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Utah
    Both the Puma 900 & T-900 have pretty much the same controls, but they each have their own tone profiles, which don't sound the same. More info in this thread:

Eich Amplification

View attachment 1100163

iwearpumas, Matt Morgan and Whippet like this.
  11. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I have the Puma900 and always thought that the T900 was the same thing. I'll have to check this out sometime soon.

bassbooty likes this.
  12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yes, I know.

13. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I just looked at the Tecamp site and they do have something that looks like my Bass Board. It looks like the same thing only Eich looks a little more snazzy with the silver binding that will eventually give me a aching foot.

You know what actually happened to the two? How could they be making the same products if they are at a dispute?

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Maybe there's no patent. They look nearly identical to me - they are identical in size, and the verbiage is the same on both sites.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Whippet likes this.
  15. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I had the oppurtunity to the test the board with Andrew Gouche and Thomas Eich during a TecAmp show in the Netherlands a while back.
    To me it is useful indeed when you're playing low volume and/or in ear concerts and need a bit of vibe.
    It absolutely makes a positive difference.
    However, I personally am not willing to pay the required sum of money for it or having to schlepp it around.
    But that's just me, the board does work well, IMHO.
    YMMV

Whippet likes this.
  16. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    That thing really does make a difference at low volume. It makes life easier because I can feel instead of just hearing. Bad thing is that I get lazy and just try to feel the beat instead of listening to the beat and what I am actually playing.

But like you mentioned, the weight..... If they did make it any lighter, that thing would be bouncing in mid air every other beat. I guess you can't have it all.

High Camp likes this.
  17. fauxtoe

fauxtoe Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Southern California
    I’m going bring back this thread for others who might be researching this. Get the small version if you are concerned about weight or portability. It’s easy to move with one hand and it fits perfectly on the floor of the hatch area of my Mazda 3 and it should work equally well on a back seat. There is no way I could have purchased the medium size for really no extra benefit and have transported it without issues.

Sound wise...holy moly! If you use IEM’s and/or have a quiet stage, this is a fantastic solution to being able to feel your bass again. It’s also very helpful for quiet practicing. The way I describe it is like having a 1000 watt (or more!) rig cranked up and moving some massive amounts of air, but only you can hear and feel it. With IEM’s it fillls in every bit of what low end they can’t produce as well as letting you feel every note and nuance of your playing instantly. There is no guess work! It brings back the dynamics that I feel are lost when there is no speaker cabinet present. This helps with not playing too hard and potentially causing blisters. Overall, highly recommended if you have ever been on the fence about buying one.

Zbysek and Whippet like this.
  18. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    You are absolutely right about the small version. I thought it would make a difference and quite frankly it makes no difference if it is big or small. Well..... you could have a girl dancing naked next to you while you are playing if you get the bigger version and I am sure she is going to get a kick out of the vibration. In this case, I recommend the middle size. She will have to stand closer to you. LOL

All jokes aside, I can not understand why more people don't use this. It is so awesome. The only problems with this thing is the weight, that is if you get the bigger size. Ear fatigue. If you aren't careful, it will kill your ears. And the fact that if one plans on using it as a part of the gigging rig without PA, you will need a bigger amp, since this thing saps the watts.

Otherwise, this thing is too good to pass. I just wonder what this thing is like if I combined it with their XL Cab.....

Zbysek likes this.
  19. fauxtoe

fauxtoe Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Southern California
    I should have mentioned that I’ve run it so far with a GK 700rb-II and a Mesa D800. The Mesa puts 400watts into it at 8 ohms and the GK I forget what it runs at, but neither have any problem keeping up without cranking them. The GK is a little more mid-voiced and I think that helps it a bit overall. I can turn them both up enough to where it’s uncomfortable, so it’s nice to know there’s headroom.

Whippet likes this.
  20. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Those sort of low vibrations can clean out your digestive system.